Existing Member?

There and Back Again The continuing travels of me

vehicle trouble

JAPAN | Monday, 8 June 2009 | Views [433]

When I'm tired I do stupid things.

Lately I've been pretty tired, so it shouldn't have surprised me that last weekend I left the foglights on my car and flattened the battery. I called another ALT and she very kindly came out and let me jump start the battery from her car.

But I was surprised when 4 days later I flattened the battery on my bike by leaving the ignition on while I was eating dinner with friends at Denny's. It took around 3 hours to reduce the battery charge to useless. I had to leave the bike at Denny's, but I got a lift home from Betsy, an ALT who lives even further out from civilisation than me.

The next day i got in touch with the bike shop and arranged to have my bike picked up after work. So I drove to the train station and and took the train into Kiryu. I was able to pick the bike up that night. But after I got back home I still had to walk from my house back to the train station to get my car (about 30 minutes).

Needless to say, when I got home in the car I was a little weary. I sat for a while and then dragged myself out, realising as I slammed the door that my keys were in the ignition.

Fortunately I keep my bathroom window open because of the prevalence of mould. So I could slide the screen back and climb in.

The guy I rent the car from came out the next afternoon with a spare key. So now I have a spare, which I should have had all along really.

On other news, I saw two movies on the weekend, 'The Spirit' and 'Angels and Demons'. Both were ok, better than expected at any rate. I think 'Angels and Demons' is actually a better film than 'Da Vinci Code', and there are some really beautiful images at the climax.

'The Spirit' is based on the old Will Eisner comic, I was never a big fan but I know enough about it to appreciate the style and some of the references. It's directed by Frank Miller in a similar style to 'Sin City', but all the same it isn't really on the same level. 'Sin City' is a vastly superior film. I was just happy to see some English language movies that didn't completely suck.

USA in 2 weeks, counting the days now.

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.