Existing Member?

There and Back Again The continuing travels of me

August 26?

JAPAN | Tuesday, 2 June 2009 | Views [284] | Comments [1]

I got a form today asking for my proposed return date. We get up to one month to stay in Japan, after 30 days they won't pay our airfare home. So I'm saying August 26, that is almost exactly one month after my contract expires. I think it's 2 days less. So it gives me some time in Japan or maybe to travel to another Asian country for a couple of weeks.

Today I was at elementary school, the kids are terribly cute and have gotten really close lately, I am very disappointed to be leaving them :(

One odd thing about elementary schools here is that they all seem to have a bunch of unicycles, which I find strange but very cool. A couple of kids had them out today, they are surprisingly good at not falling flat on their faces. Though they did tend to want to use me as a support, but I don't think that was really because they needed one.

I've taken to drawing Mickey Mouse for the kids lately. I taught myself to draw him fairly accurately, it is a big hit and today I was getting a few of the junior high school kids asking me to draw for them. I've been randomly drawing on kid notebooks and folders for ages, but now they are getting quite excited about it and I'm making them ask me in English.

Speaking of which, I get the elementary kids to ask 'spin please' and them grab their arms and spin them around. But I made one girl cry today because she was too shy to say it out loud. By the end of recess she had gotten brave enough to ask though, so she got a turn. It's very tiring once they all get the idea and clamour around, but I need the exercise. The little fat kid is a strain though, haha, that must be very politicaly incorrect, but it's true.

Comments

1

Hi Pete,
The little kids sound very cute, I'm sure they are. We haven't forgotten about you, just busy with the renovations. It's a race against time now until we move which is just 3 weeks
away.
Love you lots Mum X

  Mum Jun 8, 2009 12:48 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.