Existing Member?

There and Back Again The continuing travels of me

Star Trek

JAPAN | Monday, 1 June 2009 | Views [412]

I finally saw Star trek on Friday night with a few other people.

We went with a Japanese teacher called Tomoko, her American boyfriend John, Marcus and a British teacher called Angela. Angela has been here for years and is going to marry a Japanese guy I think. Not just a random Japanese guy, a specific one she already knows. I think he's also aware of this.

Marcus and Angela like to talk, and Angela in particular can get quite loud. Before the movie started at least one guy moved seats to get away from the loud gaijin. To be honest I felt like joining him, I like my movies to be watched in silence, but that's me.

They're a nice bunch of people, but on Friday we weren't doing anything to advance the reputation of loud, obnoxious foreigners in Japan.

But to the movie, it was extremely good, but not perfect. I can't really ask for more, but there were some things I found slightly irritating. I don't want to talk about plot details because I think everyone should watch it. If you really want to know my particular annoyances email me, but overall I really enjoyed the film and hope there are many more to come.

I not so secretly hope to one day do some work on a Star Trek film, it is a major ambition that I hope to realise before I kick off this mortal coil so to speak. Not sure how feasible that really is, but I'd happily sweep the soundstage for a credit I could add to my IMDB listing. (www.imdb.com)

Terminator 4 is opening in a week, I have heard some pretty disappointing things about this film. I don't have high hopes, the director is a guy who calls himself McG. His biggest claim to fame being the truly awful Charlies Angels movies. Charlies Angels Full Throttle ranks as the worst movie I have ever paid money to see in a cinema, a decision I regret to this day.

I may go and see Angels & Demons, I don't expect much, but I haven't read the book and Ron Howard is always competent and sometimes inspired as a filmmaker. It can't be all that bad, plus there aren't too many English language movies playing.


We have a couple of student teachers in the office this week. One of them is sitting in on English classes. I kind of pity him, I don't consider our classes to be entirely worthy of emulation, but there you go. I understand it could be worse, I have heard of high school level English classes in Japan where English is not even spoken. I presume they write in English, but all communication and instruction is in Japanese. No wonder after 6 years of study so many students still can't communicate.

Next sunday the touring group will be riding again. I can't remember where to but I got an email in Japanese and I think I worked the important bits out, we're meeting at 10am near the 7/11. I'll have to confirm that but I was mildly surprised I got that much.

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.