Existing Member?

There and Back Again The continuing travels of me

sleepy

JAPAN | Thursday, 28 May 2009 | Views [292]

I have had trouble sleeping lately, might be because it's warmer and the sun is coming up earlier. Whatever the reason I've been getting really tired, so Tuesday night I took one of the sleeping tablets I bought almost a year ago for when I'm taking overseas plane trips.

I slept ok Tuesday night, but didn't wake up in time wednesday morning. So I was late for work. Wednesday is the day I go to Amanuma, it's a half hour ride away. I got there at 8:40, ten minutes late. Normally that would be fine as classes start at 8:55. But of course on this one day there was a special timetable with an 8:40 start. So I was 5 minutes late getting to class.

For each class a couple of students come to the teachers room and ask me to come to their room. There were 3 kids and a teacher waiting for me and looking unhappy. Not a good example to set and does nothing for the reputation of foreigners.

Anyway, it seems that on wednesday there was a big teachers meeting for all of the regular teachers from around the city. So the last 2 classes for the day were cancelled. I thought I'd get a couple of hours off since I had no work to do and I was already well away from my base school.

But then I got a call from the head english teacher (who was out of town on the year 6 school trip) she was also calling my supervisor at the board of education to arrange where I'd be that afternoon. I reluctantly said I'd o back to Kurohone, at least I'd get internet access there.

I stopped at a supermarket on the way and picked up some things, so I wasn't in a hurry and took my time getting back.

When I did get into school there was one teacher on duty. He let me know that Amanuma had called him when I left to tell him I was on my way, don't know if he was making a point about the time or not.

Then the vice principal came back early and had a laugh about me leaving late that morning, he's a nice guy but I still felt irritated that I have no privacy. If any other teacher had been sligtly late no-one would know. And I know from experience that Japanese teachers can also be late, but in their case it's seen as an exception, while if a foreigner turns up late it's seen as confirmation of our general lack of punctuality.

Oh well. I was still tired all day yesterday and went to bed at about 5pm. I got up around 8 and after eating and watching some ABC shows I had downloaded (legally from the ABC website) I went back to bed around 11pm.

I'm doing better today, although I'm pretty worn out from the elementary kids. I was grabbing them by the arms and spinning them around at lunch time. At least I taught them to say 'Spin please'. But it really wore me out, some of them were pretty big kids and once was never enough.

I got a quote from Kinko's in Tokyo on printing postcards today, but it's well over a dollar a card so I'm looking at alternatives (i.e. Holmesglen), it's important to go to Palm Springs prepared, so I need to get something organised. I'll need business cards as well, and a couple of posters. I can do the colour posters at Kinko's since there'll only be a couple of sheets, and probably the business cards as they'll be B&W and therefore relatively cheap.

It's all a cost though, and it adds up eventually, but it looks bad if you turn up and try to talk to Producers' unprepared. So it'll have to be done.

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.