Existing Member?

There and Back Again The continuing travels of me

Angel One is up - UPDATE

JAPAN | Wednesday, 12 November 2008 | Views [410]

http://www.box.net/shared/fi7aj9m17v#angel

This link is to the angel I am going to get the kids to make for Christmas, check the angel gallery for pictures of a completed model, obviously it should be coloured in and if possible printed on heavier stock - (I have updated the file and I think I've fixed the minor faults, so feel free to ignore the comments/warnings below)

I couldn't get the scanner working, it's connected directly to a printer and doesn't seem to have any way of scanning to a file.

So I took a picture of the A4 page and then did my best to correct for distortions in photoshop. To make it easier I have traced over the hand drawn artwork in Illustrator to make a vector file and saved it as a PDF.

Let me know how it goes, one hint, I think it's best to insert the wings and glue into position before joining the body together at the back. That's because I kind of messed up the tab in the back, it's too big and will interfere with the wing slots.

Today I asked the vice principal to cancel my cooking gas connection. I hardly use it and have to pay $20 a month for the connection. I can buy an electric hotplate for $50, and since the school pays the electricity bill I'll save money.

That's roughly saving me the same amount as my old persons tax (the extra premium on my compulsory health insurance because I'm over 40).

So I guess I'm just about square.

I bought some rubber booties the other day, but they make my boots too tight, so I also bought some more boots. These ones are cheap steel toed work boots, I tried them on ages ago but they were either too big (28cms)or too small (27cms), with the rubber inserts the 28cms fit just fine. I do get sore toes on my left foot from pushing up against the steel cap when I change gears, but I will probably get used to it. I won't be wearing them all the time anyway.

The good news is with the rubber wetsuit material booties covering my feet and calves I don't get cold. Of course a simpler solution is to just wear jeans tucked into legwarmers under the weatherproof pants, but at least I now have options.

I went to see the band on the weekend, theres a very dodgy picture here. I didn't take the camera so it's just a phone pic. The were ok for a first gig, but there was a great Japanese kind of ska-punk band on before them. Not that I'm remotely qualified to classify musicians but that's the best I can do. Most of the other ALTs didn't seem to like the J-band, but I thought they were pretty cool.

I went to the cinema and saw the X-Files movie, because it was the only English language film showing remotely close to the time I was there. Not the best film to see after a long wait, it was fairly ordinary. Then again maybe that's the perfect time to see this film, I probably overlooked a lot of faults just because it was my first main stream cinema experience in months.

It's getting really cold now, and my house has a problem with too many appliances running. It seems that pretty much every power-point in the house is on the same circuit. So when it's overloaded the circuit breaker flips. My hot water is gas, but controlled by an electric thermometer, when it switches off my shower goes cold. Then I have to get out and go to the kitchen where the fuse box is to reset it.

I have to be careful with exactly what appliances are running at any one time, this is a problem if I want to have have a heater running while I cook dinner and try to do a load of washing. The fridge obviously has to stay on 24/7, so I sometimes can't boil water and run the microwave, I at least have to switch the bar heater from 2 to 1 bar to try and avoid drawing too much power.

It's almost December, Christmas stuff is up everywhere and the year will soon be over. One thing I have to say is that Halloween really provides a much needed break before Christmas, they don't gear up for Christmas from September like they do in Australia. The shops were all decorated for Halloween till the start of November, then Christmas 'started'.

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.