Existing Member?

There and Back Again The continuing travels of me

Yokohama

JAPAN | Tuesday, 4 November 2008 | Views [366] | Comments [1]

Back at work on Tuesday after a long weekend. I think today is Cup day in Melb. and election day in the US, I know which race I'm more interested in.

I had japanese language class on saturday morning and then rushed off to a local festival in Kurohone, it was pretty much all over by the time I got back but I did get to see the students artwork up on the walls and some of the students were still hanging around. So at least they saw I made the effort.

I took a ride back into Kiryu and sat in a park for a while, I was going to meet some ALTs at a market but by the time I got there they were already done and gone.

Sunday I went to Yokohama, I have been promising to visit Wakana-san there for ages so it was about time I made the effort.

Yokohama's a realy pretty waterfront city, there was a lot of brown haze on the horizon but the city itself is nice. The waterfront is dominated by several big hotels and a ferris wheel, seems like every international city has to have one of these now. Yokohama's is in a much better spot thamn Melbourne's though. We didn't ride the wheel as te wait was 1 hour. We did got the the observation deck on landmark tower, the tallest building in Japan (but not for long when the new building in Tokyo is completed).

I saw a tall ship moored right in the centre of the entertainment district, there's a photo for Clint's benefit mainly.

I caught the last train back and got home about 12.15 am (Ileft Yokohama at about 8.30 pm)

On the way to Yokohama I missed one of my connections because I was buying a train ticket, so I finally got myself a suica card, this works like a charge card, you load it with money and it is deducted each time you go through the turnstile, so you don't have to waste time working out which ticket to buy and standing in line at the machines. It's great, I don't know why Melbourne and Sydney have had such a problem getting this kind of system working, it's already up and running here and in plenty of other countries.

Monday I went to Minami park, minami means south, so I guess you could say I was in South Park.

Comments

1

The black horse beat the grey horse by a nose! TRUE!

  Jo Quinn Nov 5, 2008 10:41 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.