Existing Member?

There and Back Again The continuing travels of me

Nikko again, and some crazy Bikers

JAPAN | Monday, 22 September 2008 | Views [1595] | Comments [1]

Check the gallery for pictures from my second visit to Nikko. This time I went with Waka-san who came up from Yokohama, and Andrew.

We spent Saturday driving to Nikko and the nearby lake in the mountains. Nikko is about 90-100 minutes from my place. But we drove around a lot, that is I drove around a lot.

The next day we went to Akagi onsen. This was my first time in a japanese hot spring, it's a bit weird getting naked with the Japanese businessmen, but very relaxing. After the onsen I felt really tired and weak, like I could sleep for a week. I hope that's the intended effect.

We also saw a huge group of bikers on customised motorbikes at the convenience store near my place. When I say near my place I mean about 4kms. Take a look at the video I posted to Youtube.

What else?  I now seem to be known in town, I've been into a few shops and the shopkeepers say konnichiwa sensei. When i paid my gas bill at the local corner shop the guy gave me a box of tissues as a present, which was nice.

Today was supposed to be sports day, but it's been raining all night and day. So it's been postponed till Wednesday, since tomorrow is a public holiday. That's a bit of a pain since I can't make the ALT meeting in Kiryu city on wednesday afternoon, but that's fine.

I got my lens extension kit for my new camera today, it makes the camera look big and impressive, but only increases the telephoto by 2.0x which actually isn't that much, but the 3.0x looked silly and front heavy, and image is what's important after all.

Tonight is the enkai or drinking party to celebrate sports day. Sports day isn't on of course, but the place has been booked, so the teachers are all going anyway. I have been told it's essential to attend if i want to be accepted as a real staff member and not just a visitor, so I guess we'll see how that goes.

Tags: nikko

Comments

1

Mmmmmmmmmmm getting naked with Japanese Business Men does sound interesting, but please don't tell me any more.

  Jacqui Oct 25, 2008 10:00 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.