Existing Member?

There and Back Again The continuing travels of me

Saturday 13th

JAPAN | Wednesday, 17 September 2008 | Views [630] | Comments [4]

On Saturday we had sports day at the elementary school. It was a lot of fun. There are some pictures in the gallery.

One of the highlghts for me was a confusin game involving giant coloured balls and basins of flour. I have no idea what was going on or who won but it seemed like fun.

I don't know if the Junior High School sports day on the 22nd will be as wild and crazy, I hope so.

I left the sports thingy at lunchtime, I went home and ended up scrubbing my bathroom with bleach. Mould is terrible here, I guess it's the humidity.

I also left my futon on the floor for about a week and the foam mattress got mouldy underneath. I took the cover off the foam cushions, washed it, bleached it and washed it again. Of course I shrank it and the cushions wouldn't go back in, so i had to cut them down to fit. I cut a little much but it's ok.

Saturday night there was a birthday party for Leeanne, one of the UK JETs, at Global Lounge in Kiryu. Heaps of people went along, there was also a belly dancing show. Nothing to do with the party, every now and then the local belly dance class puts on a show at Global Lounge. Belly is generally the operative word here.

I didn't do too much for the rest of the long weekend (we had monday off). I started a little animation project, Just a few shots to hopefully inspire the students. I took some video of the school and I'll put a couple of spaceships into the scene. Maybe when it's done and they see it's possible to do something here they'll be keen to get involved. We'll see.

Comments

1

It's holidays here from tomorrow - no teachers or students for 2 weeks - YAY! Andrew is on leave and I'm quite busy with a PD for 3 days, etc. but it will be good to do something different.

What a drama with your futon! The mould must be a huge problem - but does this mean your tootsies are now hanging over the edge? Poor Pete......

  Jo Quinn Sep 18, 2008 11:04 AM

2

My tootsies always did hang over the edge.

The mattress goes underneath the futon, the futon itself is still the same size as before, just a little droopier around the edges.

Bit like me really ;p

  peter_allen Sep 18, 2008 12:04 PM

3

This is a game based on pac-man. Those children are actually being eaten.

  Neale B Sep 19, 2008 1:38 PM

4

Your Mother would be very proud of your housekeeping abilities!

  Jacqui Oct 25, 2008 9:57 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.