Existing Member?

There and Back Again The continuing travels of me

Friday 15 - Monday 18

JAPAN | Tuesday, 19 August 2008 | Views [698]

Friday:

The last day of Gunma orientation. Mostly it was a day of Japanese culture workshops. I would have liked a wider range, there were no visual arts for example, some calligraphy or sumi ink painting would have been nice. Instead there were lessons in Japanese dance, kimono wearing, tea ceremony, Japanese language, karate, shiatsu massage and two different sessions using different types of stringed musical instruments, and some other things I can’t recall.

I signed up for language, karate, shiatsu and shamisen (one of the music things). I didn’t try the shamisen I just took pictures. I discovered how awfully out of practice I am when I did the karate class, even though it was incredibly low level beginner stuff. I have been thinking for years that ‘yeah I’m not in the best shape but I still know what to do’…doesn’t work! Knowing is one thing, actually doing is very different.

I went back to Kiryu after the orientation, seems like most people were heading off for a big weekend in Tokyo. I walked for ages from the station to get my car from Andrew’s place, then drove on home.

It was pouring with rain and I had to pull over in a conbini car park for a while as I just couldn’t see anything. I can’t recall driving in rain that heavy ever before, not for 10 years or so any way. Then when it settled a bit I made it home, the thunder and lightning went on for some time though. There are pictures and even video on youtube if you can be bothered.

Saturday:

Saturday afternoon I drove up the road to a local art museum. It was built to house a collection of work from a local artist who paints with his mouth. He was a PE teacher who became paralyzed quite young and learned to paint while in hospital (for 9 years). The early stuff is a bit crap but some of the pictures were exceptional, the best images were from the postcards not originals, I imagine they were sold and the museum can’t afford the best work.

The museum is situated on a lake that was formed by a dam on the Watarase river, it’s all very pretty and I took some pictures. No cameras allowed inside the museum though.

It started raining again as I left and it was really heavy by the time I got home. Kurohone village was having a festival this weekend, I assumed it would be called off because it was so wet, but at 9pm I could hear the sound of very loud fireworks, so I guess they went ahead with it.

Sunday:
I decided I should do something, so I went in to Kiryu to do some shopping, but got sidetracked when I encountered ‘Global Lounge’, a local bar that caters to foreigners and Japanese who want to learn English. They had a bbq on the street and I stopped to eat and meet some locals. It was a bit expensive I think but it was still a nice afternoon.
I went and bought a sketchbook, then got a call from Andrew who was at the station, so I got him to walk to Nagasakiya, the shopping centre I was at, and then drove him home.

And that was my weekend, not very interesting, but that’s what happened. Tomorrow is English Day Camp for local elementary school kids, so all the ALTs are off to the performing arts centre for the day.

Monday:

Kids are cute but dangerous. I'd been warned about their propensity for running up and ing hitting in the groin but when it actually happened I was unprepared and shocked. Fortunately the little bugger didn't get a good hit in, the general feeling here seems to be that it's not a serious matter 'boys will be boys' kind of thing.

We spent the day playing games and getting tired. I'm glad I only have to deal with elementary kids for a couple of afternoons a week, any more would be too much!

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.