Existing Member?

There and Back Again The continuing travels of me

random stuff and an orientation video

JAPAN | Tuesday, 19 August 2008 | Views [636] | Comments [3]

I don't have anything to write really, I covered orientation stuff already, but I needed somewhere to put the youtube link of the shamisen class.


Completely unrelated, today at work there was a kerfuffle to do with me. One of the teachers who sits opposite me was checking the schedule then became agitated and I heard my name mentioned. She doesn't speak English so she couldn't tell me what the problem was. But she was making phone calls to the Shogakko and getting nowhere.

Later it was explained to me that tomorrow I'll be alone in the office for 2 hours, she was trying to get the elementary school to babysit me but they were too busy with real work.

I don't see the problem myself, I've been told not to answer the phone (good advice) but otherwise it'll be pretty much like today. School starts back next week, then we'll actually have things to do, should be an improvement. Today I updated the blog, checked email and Facebook, practised my hiragana on DS, prepared some material for a small display on Australia in the language lab and that was pretty much it. Oh, I made a sample of a stamp card for elementary school, the kids will make them and get stamps when they do something good, the kid with the most stamps at the end of term wins a prize. Maybe a little soft toy kangaroo or something.

I drew a picture with a kangaroo, wombat and kookaburra to put up in the junior high school language lab alongside the maps of Australia and tasmania I brought with me. The teachers who are here today were kind of impressed, although it's pretty basic. No sign of the art teacher yet though. I did notice that on the school calendar there's a sketch contest in October. Hopefully I can get involved in that.

Looks like there were a few things to write after all.

Comments

1

As long as the teachers dont use 'peter' and 'baka' in the same sentence.No you tube at school!!!

  Neale B Aug 20, 2008 8:51 AM

2

Lead guitarist in a Samurai band.....my favourite YouTube clip ever!!!

Next, we'll see you with a lightsaber performing in Kabuki......

  Adam White Aug 20, 2008 12:33 PM

3

Hi Pete
Some of your scenery photos are stunning! How cool was that electrical storm - hope you were safely inside! A bit concerned about the punch-happy kids, but no doubt you'll find a solution to that one. I thought your 'welcome koala sign' was really cute. Talk again soon....

  Jo Quinn Aug 22, 2008 10:16 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.