Existing Member?

There and Back Again The continuing travels of me

Big Red Car

JAPAN | Tuesday, 12 August 2008 | Views [765] | Comments [3]

Near the rear wheel arch it says 'me lady', although it might possibly have been meant to say 'melody'. But really, either way...

Near the rear wheel arch it says 'me lady', although it might possibly have been meant to say 'melody'. But really, either way...

The car was delivered, it's surprisingly roomy inside, plenty of head room even for me. The wheel is a bit tight for the knees, but I don't plan on any extended road trips so it's ok.

I drove into Kiryu last night to get my bearings as I have a meeting to attend this afternoon. About half way there the transmission got stuck in low gear and wouldn't shift out. Fortunately speed limits are low and it was peak hour so i couldn't drive fast anyway, I accelerated with a lot of whining from the engine and then coasted along till the next intersection.


I was pretty worried about this and stopped in Kiryu to email Ebachan (the guy who leases the cars). But the email he gave me didn't work and I didn't bring his number with me.

On the way back home it worked fine though. So i'll see how it goes and hope it was a one off.

I went shopping on the way back and saw Takazawa-san, the office manager from work, in the supermarket. She was very interested in the contents of my shopping basket, she actually laughed at my bran flakes. I also bought some frozen vegetables to keep because they are always handy. The packets in the supermarket were all tiny except for a 1kg bag of corn. I got some broccoli and mixed veg and the big bag of corn. Today when I got in to work Takazawa-san was saying, 'so you really like corn?'

This afternoon we have the ALT (Assistant Language Teacher) meeting at city hall, then I'm staying at Andrew's place tonight and we're off to the 3 day Gunma-ken orientation in Maebashi first thing tomorrow.

My supervisor Shibazuka-sensei is very concerned I might try to drive and has strongly suggested I take the train, which I was planning on doing anyway. So that's the plan for the next few days.

 

Comments

1

Hi Pete

I would really appreciate a pic of you actually sitting in this car, just to prove it is possible.

Have fun!!!!

cheers

kevin

  Kevin Kerr Aug 12, 2008 11:23 AM

2

Dear Pete,
I was actually impressed with the car, yesterday I spotted a really tiny little orange and yellow car here near Seaford Rd with some Net Work slogan on it. It looked like a grass hopper's head in shape and I was driving along thinking "wow, that must be like Peter's car". After seeing the photo I feel yours is a bit bigger maybe. A cheque came from your accountant and I deposited it in your ANZ same day. My email is lorrcarl@bigpond.com
I did read quite a lot of your journal entries but, quite tired myself following couple of extra busy days at work therefore, I will read it again when I'm not tired and absorb it all properly. Meanwhile, I'm pleased you didn't drive to the orientation even though you hadn't planned to.
Continue taking care
love you Mum X

  Mum Aug 12, 2008 11:13 PM

3

Hi Pete

I agree with Kev - show us the picture of you sitting in that little red car! W22 had a good open day - lots of enquiries which was great. A small favour - what's your PIN for your office phone. Colin can't retrieve messages. Sorry it's a work related comment - won't mention it again - PROMISE!!!

  Jo Quinn Aug 18, 2008 11:08 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.