Existing Member?

Mark's World Tour 2007-08

Day 207: A day around Kununurra

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 30 May 2008 | Views [695]

Boab tree and a bush fire

Boab tree and a bush fire

Friday 30th May

We were up early once more, this time at 06.00, to get on the road and make the most of the day around Kununurra. Although we were staying for two nights at 'Parry's Creek Farm', we had a decent distance to travel on the bus that day as we visited some of the local sights, before getting back on the road to Darwin the following day.

After breakfast, we left for Emma Gorge, and trekked for about forty five minutes before we got to yet another swimming pool for a beautiful morning dip. The water was as clear as it always is, and it was fun to swim about the large, natural pool. After we made our return journey, we had lunch before getting back on the bus for our trip to Mirima National Park, and to see the 'Mini Bungle Bungles', a small area covered in the red rock formation for which the real Bungle Bungle NP is famous. It was hardly the highlight of the trip, and it felt like it was included in the schedlue as a cheap filler destination, and thankfully we didn't hang about for too long there.

We stopped off in Kununurra town to pick up some more supplies at the supermarket. Daniele, Thomas and I teamed up to get some food for another barbecue that evening. Later in the afternoon, we visited Parry Lagoons Nature Reserve, a natural wetlands sanctuary for birds (or a billabong, as the aboriginals would call it) and which was very relaxing. We also got to see the sunset over an old telegraph station which was perched on the hillside overlooking the billabong and flatlands below it. The telegraph station has now been overtaken by many boab trees, which are ubiquitous in WA. It was a beautiful evening, with the red glow of the earth and the golden brown of the scrub contrasting with the deep blue of the sky.

We returned to the hostel to cook dinner, and Daniele did a fantastic job at preparing another feast despite the fact that he was as pissed as a fart, having been drinking on the bus for a large part of the afternoon! We watched the clearest of night skies for some time before getting an early night ahead of our early start onwards towards Darwin, and our destination of Katherine the next night. We would be leaving Western Australia and crossing over into the Northern Territory so we would have reached one milestone at least.

 

About markr_mcmahon

Shaaaape of ye!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.