Existing Member?

Mark's World Tour 2007-08

Day 87: The famous beaches of Thailand

THAILAND | Thursday, 31 January 2008 | Views [937]

Thursday 31st January

I decided that my plan for the day would be to pay a visit to one of the beaches that Thailand is famous for, so I had some breakfast and then took the bus – well, it was more like a pick-up, called sawngthaew in Thai to Ao Nong beach, about half an hour drive out of Krabi town.

The main road in Ao Nong runs parallel to the beach, and along this road is a strip of bars, restaurants and shops, making it seem more like a resort in Spain. It was a lot larger and more modern than Palolem Beach in Goa, but it still didn't make much of an impression as I took a quick look about. There seemed to a largely older crowd in Ao Nong, and I wanted to get out as quick as I could, so I took a longboat to Rai Leh beach and this lived up much more to the idea of what a Thai beach should be like: white sand; clear, blue water; big limestone karst formations on either side.....and loads of fit birds with hardly any clothes on! Fantastic!

The water was beautifully warm, but also cool enough to take away the heat of the sun that was bearing down. There was quite a lot of people about, but not too many, and it was good to chill out on the beach again (it had been almost three weeks since I had left the beach in Kerala). I headed back to Ao Nong around 16.00, getting back to Krabi an hour later. I was happy to stay in Krabi as it was not too far from decent beaches, while at the same time, it didn't feel too overcrowded with other tourists.

That evening, I took a walk about the town, wandering through the night market to get a glimpse of some of the delicious-looking food, and also some of the weirder, unfamiliar things that were on sale. Food stalls and roadside eating places are everywhere, and I have to admit that the temptation to eat more than the usual is ever present (like Singapore but cheaper and without the aircon). All in all, it's a good place to stay, and I would recommend it to other people looking for good tourist facilities but also wishing to sample some of the locals way of life.

I headed back to the hotel to chill out and watch some TV. I had picked up a bit of a burning at the beach, but didn't feel too bad. I watched the movie 'Touching the Void', as I hadn't seen it before, but was blown away by the story.

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

 

About markr_mcmahon

Shaaaape of ye!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.