Existing Member?

Mark's World Tour 2007-08

Day 55: Moving onwards to Kerala

INDIA | Sunday, 30 December 2007 | Views [836]

Sunday 30th December

I managed to get a few decent hours sleep. The earplugs once again did a good job, taking the edge off the snoring coming from a bunch of guys in the bunks opposite me. I knew the train wouldn't arrive in Ernakulam until after it was dark, and the thought of a whole day on the train didn't do much to brighten up my outlook.

I once more passed through some beautiful countryside, with luch fields and inland waterways making up the majority of the landscape. I did a good bit of dozing throughout the day ad made steady progress on a book on investigative journalism that Pete had given to me before I left Goa.

The train finally arrived in Ernakulam aroud 19.00. After phoning around most of the hotels listed in the Rough Guide, I found a reasonably costly room in the Ernakulam side of Cochin (the other main part being Fort Cochin, the more touristy area which is accessed by ferry). With New Year's Eve the following day, it was naturally a busy time and most of the guesthouses and hotels were full. I would have preferred to stay in Fort Cochin, but it was more important to find somewhere to stay for the night and then search again for something more suitable the following morning.

After dinner in the hotel, I relaxed for the rest of the evening, watching the Man City – Liverpool match on the TV in my room. After spending the last two weeks in a beach hut, it was a welcome change to chill out in some comfort.

Tags: On the Road

 

About markr_mcmahon

Shaaaape of ye!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.