Existing Member?

Mark's World Tour 2007-08

Day 36: I thought I'd never get to Goa!

INDIA | Tuesday, 11 December 2007 | Views [834]

Tuesday 11th December

My train to Goa was due to leave Mumbai CST station at 06.55, and I got there around 06.20 to learn that the train was delayed and was re-scheduled to leave at 11.05. So, that wasn’t such a great start to this leg of the journey. After an omellette sandwich and an Indian chai , I went to take a seat in a quiet waiting room.

There I spoke to some other folk who were also on my train: a family from Denmark and a girl from Finland making up a decent European contingent. These conversations helped pass the time, plus I was now better used to long waits, and it wasn’t too bad in the end. The train finally left at 11.30 and, with the journey due to last at least twelve hours, it was going to be a long, boring journey.

There’s not too much you can write about a train journey like that. One of the highlights was when someone from the side of the tracks threw a stone which hit the side of the window I was sitting at and left a huge crack in the corner. At least that got my heart going for all of two seconds. The best bit about it was the countryside through which we travelled, possibly the most beautiful I have seen in India: hills covered in the layered plateaus of flat paddy-fields; palm trees and a river meandering through the lush countryside; snapshots of men standing waist-high in the river, fishing with nets; women washing clothes and cooking materials at the waters edge. It was a pity that the glass through which I was looking was covered in tinting plastic, and the light wasn’t as true as it could have been.

The train finally arrived at my stop, the town of Margao, in the south of this small state at 01.00, about four hours later than scheduled. I got a pre-paid taxi to the guesthouse at which I had made a reservation, holding firm in my refusal to pay the driver anymore, despite his claim that I was asking him to take me beyond the destination I had agreed on with the guy at the taxi booth. He let me out and I once more refused to pay, so he raced off, all the while shouting at me that he wouldn’t take the money even if I offered it to him, and that God would somehow intervene or some bullshit like that. I’ve heard that one before and I will no doubt hear it again from the moral titans that are Indian taxi-drivers. At this stage, I wasn’t too concerned about what I had done to my own karma, I was just happy to get to Goa.

Tags: On the Road

 

About markr_mcmahon

Shaaaape of ye!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.