Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

April fools is over..

THAILAND | Friday, 2 April 2010 | Views [1093]

Today is the 2nd of April - I am still in Bangkok, where is sweat is running like a waterfall off of every foreign (fa(r)lang as they say here)

Spent the first night in a prison like cell: Cheap Guest House. It was almost impossible to sleep in this windowless rectangle of a room with a fan making noises like a jackhammer, competing with the street noise behind the thin walls. At least it is clean....

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I am not vacationing, but traveling (big difference!)

It's work, not always comfortable and often down right difficult.

Besides that my emotional state is highly unstable for reasons unexplainable in this diary setting, this trip has turned into a reality check, if not to say: A life lesson. But, let's go on with what is actually happening here in Bangkok: I treated myself to a traditional Thai Massage during which I wasn't sure if I was treated or tortured. In either case I was telling myself that I needed to "just relax". It was no easy task - by any means. The setting was beautiful though and the masseur appeared to be highly professional. Afterwards, close to tears, I staggered down the stairs with sweet,hot,mint tea in my hands. Was I supposed to have said: "Hey, take it a little easy on me" ? Well, I didn't! Today is "the day after" and I am not as sore as I was afraid I would be.

This massage is more like a yoga session where the masseur "yogas" you in positions you never thought you were capable of positioning yourself in (even if you do a lot of yoga).

In general, I am avoiding the typical tourist attractions, but went to China Town, saw the big, golden Buddha at the Wat Traimit. The Buddha was discovered covered in plaster, when it was dropped by accident by the crane which moved it from one place to another, it turned out to be made of solid gold. 5.5 tons of it.

Tags: the 5.5 ton solid golden buddha

 

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.