Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

In a jeep on the "road"

NEPAL | Wednesday, 24 June 2009 | Views [934]

Friday May 8th

We got served chapatti and milk tea for breakfast – this time the chapattis were more like latkes – very, very rich and yummy. I ate myself  silly……..

We also got invited to stay a day longer and visit the school- celebrating some more- but I was anxious to keep going, since we don’t really know the bus situation in Hile (this bus route exists only a year or so…). I also don’t know if I can take that kind of attention for another day. Anyways, we went on our merry way to Tumlingtar in hopes for the bus which isn’t even mentioned in the guide book at this time yet.

We only hiked for three hours. A big family from the village was also trekking to the bus and kept close quarters – our every step was watched and it was hard to find the privacy to go pee – even after we tried to let them know we needed a little space for going to the bathroom. This time – for the first time, I was a bit annoyed……..strange, after all this time? Maybe I felt like I was getting closer to the civilization I know….They are just too curious to give you any room it seems like…..

The air was humid and hot in Tumlingtar. We found an airport and a four wheel drive taxi (bus, jeep) to take us to another taxi (bus) to take us to Hile to take us to Kathmandu….

It sure was strange to be on a road (even though it was only a dirt road and dirt it was…..) again in a vehicle.

First I considered myself lucky to sit in a 4WD jeep, looking at those flimsy little propeller air planes,  but further down the road,  I wasn’t so sure anymore. It became clear fast: This was the wildest, most uncomfortable ride in my life so far. We were sitting on the tail end – now I know why they didn’t want to sell us the last tickets, because the front seats were taken……  14 people in a 10 seat jeep – we rode through rivers (3) on a dirt road which didn’t exist only a year ago or so – brand spanking new with all the boulders, sand, tree stumps, while smashed up against the metal back door- especially “fun” going up hills, when 3 people's weight on the same bench pushed me even further into the metal. (They were holding on for dear life) We bumped heads on the ceiling of the car and against each other (and don’t forget that I had lost enough weight to apply as a skeleton to be displayed in a school anatomy class …….) We could have walked another 2 days through the heat instead, the choice was made, but none of us came out of that experience without big and small bruises.  We made it to Hile in one piece though  - barely – the torture was over, or shall we call it the adventure?

Tags: waiting for the bus

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.