Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

Staying with the family - Party of the town.

NEPAL | Thursday, 18 June 2009 | Views [1057]

May 8th - day 29th

We caught up again - no longer behind, just in time....

Our guide (-book) was utterly wrong this time. We were so lucky to have stayed in the Gothe Bazaar Lodge, because the trail lead us up a ridge and over some rocks on a steep and narrow trail - wouldn't have been very safe or much fun the night before in the rain and -as it turned out, we would have been walking in the dark as well, because the described trail was much longer to begin with to the village of Tibchaar ( the guide was wrong at the point where the ridge and the trail with the steep rocks was mentioned AFTER the village of Tibchaar).

Amazing - we did the right thing.....(it poured cats and dogs............what a blessing - otherwise we might have continued....).

The mistake in the guide book made the day surprisingly short - the distance from Tibchaar to Chewabensi was a lot shorter without the ridge and we conquered the unexpected difficult ridge much quicker in the morning with our strong legs and lungs.......

Therefor we got to freshen up in the Ajun River again and play a while - have I mentioned how tropical and HOT it is around here? We've been walking through the jungle for days now....On the path we met cheery groups of celebrating families, playing music and dressed up...Very different scene then higher up in the mountains.

After crossing the river on one of those bridges, we stopped at a "maybe" lodge. Amma was very nice, but it seemed there was some accessive drinking going on...the guys energy was questionable....

Gita picked up an unpleasant "vibe" from the crowed - I went scouting around some more and found - quite a ways down the road - a very sweet couple and some jolly old women (probably no older than 50 years) in the little village of Chewabensi. Well worth the effort!!

We were warmly welcomed by the whole freaking town! We got served tea and chang (mildly intoxicating)while we were surrounded and watched every move by young and old.....

Everybody seemed so happy and curious and all wanted their picture taken.

Our host turned out to be the English Teacher of the village school (7 teachers for 160 students). The couple itself was blessed with 5 children. We got served the best Dhal Bhat EVER (ups...........have I said that before???)and got invited to dance and celebrate - all night long....The old toothless women seemed to be dancing and singing the same songs and steps over and over again - after I was long in bed I was thinking that they must be tiring some time, but it just went on and on and on - having a real good time - this was the best night "out of town" in the village in Nepal!!!

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.