Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

The day we saw Sagarmatha (Everest)

NEPAL | Wednesday, 27 May 2009 | Views [1013]

4/25/09

I had garlic soup (Ama said it would help..) last night and felt even sicker – crying myself to sleep………………..so lonely…..I thought I am going to die………………………., but I only fell asleep, waking up to go pee and was surprised I was still alive ……so much to actually appreciate the feeling of having to go pee this time! I AM STILL ALIVE!!

Feeling peachy and happy again – ready to conquer the highest peak on this trip. Ama Dali is taking good care of us, makes the stay even more enjoyable. The high altitude also fools around with our appetite – even though I am not nauseous anymore, I am not hungry and checking in with the other travelers this is a common condition up here. Still I am ever so grateful that we feel as good as we do and we are eating as much as we can. The lodge is set up in a very practical way: The eating area is surrounded by window – the sun hits it all day long and it warms up nicely during the day, all day long, at night Dali breaks out the dried yak shit and uses it to heat the stove in the middle of the room. Anyways, have I mentioned the view?

Ok, we climbed up to Gokyo Ri and finally got to see Mt Everest (Sagamartha). Climbing up there without the backpack is a treat – I flew up that Mt, let me tell you. We are very lucky to have then sun shine like it does – I surely don’t wanna be here when it storms and snows……We left the rain and hail to lower altitudes ….

The surroundings are so unrealistic, beautiful, but just “out of this world” – it’s worth all the torture, I can say that now!!!!

Tags: ice river and the village of gokyo left, next to gokyo lake.

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.