Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

forgot the story about crossing the Equator:

ECUADOR | Thursday, 6 June 2013 | Views [1015]

Yep, still in hope there is more, but that is it at the Ecuadorian Coast - a little street sign for the Equator.

Yep, still in hope there is more, but that is it at the Ecuadorian Coast - a little street sign for the Equator.

Equator!!! (May 17th in Ecuator)


This is a monumental moment to pass the middle  of the earth - at least in my book!
It was the day before my b'day, but in reality it was my b'day because I was born in Germany and the seven hours difference made the time right for me to say: I passed the Äquator ON MY BIRTHDAY. Yeah!! And we didn't even try - the time was just right!
A good road, nice weather, beautiful jungle, the ocean audible (but not visible since the jungle is so thick) and then a little road sign indicating this monumental place. NOTHING BUT A ROAD SIGN?
 
OK, I think to myself, there must be more...this must have not been the right place for a monument for what-ever-reason, so, it must be further down the road or closer to the ocean - someplace soon, close by...surely not hidden...maybe a restaurant, hotel, look out, a nice pebble...crystal hanging on a branch........ SOMETHING!!??
Sip, zero, nada, nothing.
We had to ride for another 20km before I could believe it - and even then I didn't because two road maps indicated that there is a MONUMENT! 
Not until the swiss guy -who we stayed with for a couple of days to rest and celebrate my b'day- confirmed that there is no respectable sign at the coast of Ecuador to highlight the fact that we are half way around the world - the middle part between the North and the South Pole - ffs.

 

 

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.