Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

Guayaquil - this concludes the Merry Month of Me (May 31st)

ECUADOR | Thursday, 6 June 2013 | Views [699]

Guayaquil.

Guayaquil.

So, how do you feel, when you actually had some idea how a whole month of feeling something special  because it is your b'day month turns out to be the way you wanted it and beyond?

It was warm, I got to swim in the ocean and a pool,  lay on the beach, ate incredible food besides ice cream and chocolate every day, palm trees, hammocks, down time and easy cycling, hanging out with friendly fun people .... .the list goes on and on. AMAZING month.
Guayaquil didn't blow my mind, but it was great to sniff some big city air and soak up some buzzing energy. The Malecon 2000 is the city's biggest asset (the Cornich in Abu Dhabi can take notes....)
A 2.5km long sensitively arranged walkway on the water shore with parks and pools, benches, bridges and sculptures, ice cream booths and restaurants, a glass palace and a movie theater. Though no bicycles are allowed it was a pleasure to walk the length of the whole thing a few times -even in the warm rain- watching the locals (not many tourists at all) enjoy their riverside (Guayaquil is located not far from the ocean but broken up by a wide river (Guaya) and it's many side rivers - more like a fjord) away from cars. This Malecon was build for the enjoyment of the people of the city - not for tourists or consumerism.
The local market in the middle of town was a blast to visit and try strange foods and smell- for me- unidentifiable herbs and flowers. James and I stuck out like a couple of redwood trees in the middle of Baja, but the people were friendly and pleasant. 
The last night we got to stay with a local family (through the "couch surfing" network) up in the hills enjoying the views of the city from above and of course the company of the warmhearted, generous ecuadorians)

 

 

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.