Existing Member?

New Beginnings...

Long Bein Bridge

VIETNAM | Saturday, 23 February 2013 | Views [360]

Getting up was a struggle, not feeling to bad, but not great. Coming downstairs there all here, but I've missed brekkie:( Frans & Hannah wana go to the lake and Matt, Bini and I end up joining them.. We head towards somewhere that Bini can make some calls and then onto some food. These phone calls end up taking a long time cos she can't connect.. And its already midday and I'm hunnnnngry!

We find a place towards the lake, a local joint and head up stairs for a seat- Frans & Hannah end up going ahead cos they're not hungry. We're not sure what to order, and it seems they just come upstairs with a bit of everything and you tell them what you want and then they write up the bill... GEEEZE its a bit expensive and cos Bini doesn't have any money Matt and I end up paying like 110,000 each, way over my budget and I'm a bit annoyed. I know she needs to eat, but still bit irritated! Anyway the food ends up being amazing and we scoff as much as possible cos we might not eat later, lol.. Bini ends up leaving half way through wanting to catch up with the others?

We walk to the lake and its so pretty. There's an old temple on a smaller island in the middle and we see if its possible to walk out to it, so we stroll around the waters edge just chatting away and I'm really enjoying Matt's company.. He's so interesting and he's only 18! As old as my brother and he's done and been through SO much.. He's just lovely. I'm really enjoying the wideness and open space compared to the Old Quater and we walk and see that we wouldn't be able to get across.. But we see a massive bronze statue of an ancient warrior who faught back in 825! Old guy. We have a little chat to a couple who are here on holiday to visit family, but now live in Melbourne.. They're super lovely and tell us that the temple is thousands of years old and then we realise no wonder we can't go to it, it would be a shame to ruin it. They point us in the direction of where there is another famous lake where there is a plane crash in.. Sounds coool.. but we thought to walk over the bridge to the east of Hanoi where Matt went yesterday and apparently on the way over there are rice feilds and loads of trees in the middle of the city- I saw the photos and I'm keeeeeeen...

Its a long walk to the bridge but how ever much you walk in this city you will always see new things/places and thats whats so enjoyable about it. When we get to the bridge its 2 lanes with a train track in the middle and a tiny foot path- Its about 1.5clicks, but its just amazing, words can't describe.. I mean there are slums on the water front and so much debry, but for some reason it just has so much charm and its just amazing, seriously amazing. There are even little woman along the side of the path selling corn, herbs, tomatoes and its obviously just been picked from the plantation below the bridge. We look out over the water and see fisherman but they're rowing with their feet, and using the arms to bang against the side of the boat to attract fish- It was wierd, but very cool:)

We pop down the side of the bridge on a foot path and walk around the plantations. People live there, and they seem not to mind us being there.. I suddenly notice how quite it is and its lovely to be in a wide space and no noise.. You can just about hear beeps from the traffic very very far away and its so blissfull, totally loving it. We help a guy unload a box from his bike and watch him take it down to the river where people are swimming.. We get shhh-ed away though after awhile by a guy in his undies, haha.. We walk for aaages around this field and its lovely. We continue back to the bridge where we see people digging this wierd paste coal and putting it into an oven.. Seriously strange. 

We've been walking for 4hours and I'm deifnatley feeling it. We continue walking for another 3clicks and get to the house where Matt had tea with this family, and they're in and welcome us in. They can't speak very good English, so its all hand signals and gestues. Bit concomfortable at first but after awhile we sit down with the boy (Can't remember his name..) and talk about music, and school and it was actually very enjoyable- and he has the fluffyest cat I've ever seen, totally adorable.. Called Kitty. We must of been there for about an hour drinking tea, but its getting late and we've still got to walk back as its gona get dark soon. So we take some photos together and head off. 

We get to the hostel finally, my feet are dead... I arrange with Matt to come over for free beers later. Getting back to the dorm Bini is in, but instead of getting into bed i just crash on the computer, if I get into bed i'll fall asleep for sure. It gets to 6 and we head over for some free beer. Getting to the hostel there is a small group sitting on a tiny roof and they're pouring this beer from a plastic bottle into tiny tea cups- hhaha. 

Matt and I decided we are keeeen for some KFC and decided to head over to the nearest one also on the way to the booking agency so that he can try get on the same tour for Ha Long Bay with the girls.. Nancy comes with too and we walk over to KFC. AAAARRRRGH it was SO good, but far too much over my budget for the day, never mind cos sometimes you just need some crappy food. After waiting like 15mins for my burger (!!!!!) We grab a table upstairs which has a lovely view over looking the lake and its very pretty and we have the whole floor to ourselves. We meet Nancy downstairs who went out for some street food- We head to the booking place and I am SO tiered. I just don't feel like going out at all, but still wana have a convo with people, but just not in a loud bar, so I was very glad that Nancy suggest a nap back at the room and then maybe go out? 

Man I can't get outta bed, and there is a doco on about wierd piercings & tattoos which is just up my street and I get waaaay to comfy. Poor Frans was in and obviously wanting a quite one but not long after Nancy & I arrive Matt and the girls come back and we all pile in bed together watching this program. haha. Nancy does manage to get back out, but Matt and I are comfy and decided to crash- The girls head back to their hostel as they all need to be up early tomorrow for the tour, so its an early night for us and a more comfy bed too :D

About lozza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.