Existing Member?

New Beginnings...

... Did you know Chiang Mai has temples?

THAILAND | Friday, 25 January 2013 | Views [231]

So today I decided to head out to some ruins that were once under water when Thailand was under the sea back in the stone age.. I check on the map and it seems pretty straight forward. 

Chiang Mai is in 2 sections, old and new. I'm living in the old city which is surrounded by these amazing ruins and its all 1 way streets over a little mout, its very confusing, but i kinda get the way after stopping a guy on a scoot for directions and he's heading the same way anyway and says i can follow him. Its such a nice day and I'm enjoy the little drive, and it ends up being quite easy to get to.

Again, being Thailand nothing is what it seems. The ruins are good, but not what they're like in the pictures! haha. I end up finding some random temple and had a walk around there for a bit- It was beautiful anyway so I'm glad I found that. Eveywhere you go there are temples everywhere and little gold domes poking up from trees it very nice. 

After this i think well its too early and I have the whole day so I go for a drive and notice signs to waterfalls.. May aswell?

Can't find the waterfalls, but see a sign for a Ganesh muesum, sounds good and a drive is fine anyway, we'll see what there is on the way...

THIS IS SOOOO FAR!! Its stinking hot, but the drive is breath taking, I'm very impressed with Chiang Mai, there is definately a different vibe up north compaired to the south and I'm enjoy it. 

The Ganesh muesum was definately worth the drive, it was lovely, got some good photos and enjoy the temples and meusum.. But that drive was a big one, so i decided to head back before it gets dark... 

On the way back I notice another gold reclining buddha and decide to check him out- and the temple is gooooooorgous!!! Scary dog with this vivid blue eye scared me and I run back to the scoot, and its following me alllll the way to the gate, i am terrified for some reason?!

Getting back into Chiang Mai was long and it was crammed with traffic, constantly having to weave in and out of traffic-- 

Still can't figure out the roads in CM.. Super confusing, but I get back eventually.. End up having some drinks with the guys downstairs, play a bit of guitar (considering buying one...) and just had a nice chilled evening.. Ate too much though and I'm becoming OBSESSED with chilli, nothing is hot enough.. have about 4 meals in the hostel with extra chilli oil on!! YUUM!

Talking with 1 of the guys from the room- Dominic who's from Leeds we find out we're making the EXACT same trip and hatch a plan to do it together- My plan, well our plan is to go to Pai for a few days, and then head to Chiang Rai, then to Chang Kong where you cross the Thai-Laos boarder and get on a slow boat along the Mekong river- suppost to be amazing, and takes 2 days.. Dom's getting off 2 towns before me, so it'll be nice for some company for awhile..

Dom & I end up checking out the night market.. Nothing interests me, i dont' need tazer guns, and bird cages, but maybe some more raybans to add the the never ending collection, haha! We head back, via some more food, cos I'm starving.. and get back, chill out upstairs with some of the others for a bit and head to bed... Its been a looong day:)

About lozza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.