Existing Member?

New Beginnings...

Cat Ba!!

VIETNAM | Monday, 29 April 2013 | Views [312]

So getting up and leaving for 6am wasn't too bad.. Didn't go out to the park to spin poi or anything on the sunday evening.. So getting up wasn't too bad... We got a taxi pretty easy from the top of the road and went to the Old Quater to get picked up to be taken to the bus station- The guy that came to pick us up was a guy on a scoot- and flagged down a taxi for us to get into.. Bit strange and we were a bit unsure, but we got there, cab was already paid for and we got on the bus, managed to get a seat and within 20min max we were off... Had a bit of a snooze on the bus, and i was surprised that it was an actual coach and not a local bus which i've heard horror stories about! haha, live stock on the buses is common here.. Crap i'd sit next to a smelly pig or carcus and that! or a rooster!!! 

Got into Hai Phong and waited another 45mins for the next bus that took us into the ferry point.. Wasn't a long boat ride- but on the boat Tim bumped into a friend and her boyfriend who were on the same idea as us.. once we arrive into Cat Ba town (after another 40min bus ride which we had to stand for!!!) We stopped for lunch with them, and it was super hot, all of us were starving... Food was ace, and seeing as Tim & I still had another boat ride to this island we wrapped it up and found out info on where to get this boat from- Was a bit of a pain, and in that heat, maaan it was tiering, thankfully we had no luggage... Got a scooter taxi to the port on the east side of the island and waited for our taxi boat which we had to arrange after many phone calls to the island reception!! Thankfully we're on and we're driven through mazes of floating villages which were so colourful! It was lovely, the islands we were passing were beautiful!! When we approached our island, it was paradise! There were a few people on the beach and it was quite and just perfect.. we get into our balcony which is over looking the sea and quickly change into our togs and dash into the water!!! It was awwwwesome!!!

Tim played some guitar in the evening after our dinner, which was nice fresh seafood and rice and that... We managed to get a cork screw and polished off 2 bottles of wine.. I was pretttttty loose, but nicely. Heading to bed with the sea just outside the window was amazing!!!

Next day we're off on our kayake.. This is after our 1.5hr yoga session on the beach and free buffet breakfast:) We sailed around the islands and coves and there were a fair few. It was nice to get out into open water and have some excercise! We were out we think for about 3/4hours.. It was a shame though, the amount of rubbish that is washed up and dumped on these islands is sad, you just wana get a bin bag and fish all the crap outta the water!!! When we got back we had a swim, i read my book and had a little sun bake while Tim played some more music, it was bliss!!! Watched a movie before dinner and drank another bottle, watched more movies and sat on the deck for a wee bit.. I love it here, best, relaxing time ever!!! It will be sad to leave tomorrow, 1 more day would be amazing!

Unfortunately it was pretty bad weather next morning. When we got up for the brekkie it wasn't too bad, but come around 10:30 we were told there is only 1 more taxi boat and its leaving in 30mins! Nothing packed, I jump in the shower in a bit of a strop! MAN check out is 12 and I DON'T WANA LEAVE! and i don't like to be rushed! gggrrr..

Getting back on the main land it was misrable! Its a shame we had so much time to kill before the boat, we could of gone to the beach- no dramas too much, just scoffed down plates of food, an sat upstairs over lookin the pier chatting with some guy from the U.S..

The boat ride was a bit ott, the boat was packed, stools taken out for people to sit on, on the deck, it was so crowded.. Guy vomming outta the window, guy went for a massive shit in the toilet- so there were waffts of poo smells and vomit!! The other funny thing was i noticed is they like to sniff bread.. I found out later on though that apparently it helps you with travel sickness??!! only in asia, you sniff bread on the boat and buses!!! mmuuhahaha! The other bus though was a bit crap- hyper active kids playing with the seats infront got me going, and all the hollering and that! aaargh.. It was good to get home, kinda.. We stopped for a curry and i pretty much fell asleep once we got in.. Got work tomorrow!!!!

About lozza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.