Existing Member?

New Beginnings...

Its all about the long weekends this month!

VIETNAM | Sunday, 28 April 2013 | Views [332]

April in Vietnam is the BEST. This week I have 5 days off.. Its just wonderful. Sat-Thurs. Last week it was a long weekend having fri-sun off. Even though that weekend was wasted, not this one!

Macs & i went on a drive yesterday, tried to get to a coastal town called Ninh Binh (which is pronouced Nimbin) but we couldn't find the way out of the city. Scooters/motorbikes aren't allowed on the freeway, and when we tried getting on the freeway we could see why, its crazy up there.. we got lost had to turn around to avoid poilce. it was a nightmare! However we gave up that idea and found a free way taking us west of Hanoi into the mountains. It was a lovely drive, and it was nice to be able to drive.. no traffic, no horns.. just fresh air, fields, mountains and rivers. It was lush. We stopped for some lunch which came to a total of under $3 for 6dishes & 2 teas.. Super cheap.. The old ladies there were mezmerised by us.. Going to the toilet was a biiiig mistake. I've gone back into my way of no shoes and as I was walking down the side to this "toilet" i passed a woman cleaning out pig intestines, and gunk all up on the floor, a pigs head in a bowl and a pig in a shed.. and this is normal.. its hard not to pull a face at the contense of this pig on the floor haha.. saw the funny side at least, floor was a bit slimey... Did my water next to the pig in the pen and by the time i got back to the table there was a gaggle of women standing around a pig carcus talking rapidly about what cuts of meat they wanted.. It was quite a sight.

We get back on the bikes and drive to a dead end sorta, and saw either a boat crossing to the otherside of the river or a dirt road- we took the dirt road, had a drive around, saw some old cotton mills on the side of the river, villigers coming out to say hello and point/wave at us.. After awhile though the road wans't going into the highway we believed it was going, so we turn around get gas and drive to another mountain village which was beautiful at sun set... The drive back was hard, my shoulder was so stiff, I was cold, sunburnt and the road was just going on forever!!!!!

Getting back in was looovely, so tiered! As I was in the lift going upstairs Tim's called asking if I've had dinner yet, and did I want some! :)

We ended up just staying in, watching movies- Wana save myself for the rest of the week...

Super excited for tomorrow!!! Tim and I are going over to Cat Ba, and booked a bungalow on a beach for 2 nights as he has the days off aswell!! Can't wait. It was a drama getting these tickets mind as he's working Sunday till 7 and the last train out of Hanoi on Sunday to Haiphong is at 8 so we wouldn't miss it.. Getting the 0920 on monday would of go us to Haiphong at like 12pm, and then the 2hour boat over to the island would have made the journey pointless... Before I gave up though I went down to a travel agency and asked about the bus.. There is a bus leaving Sunday, but it would mean sleeping over night in haiphong (spending more money on accomodation..) So instead we got a deal of 315,000 each ($15) for a pick up at 0630 to the bus terminal, 2hour bus ride to Haiphong, then 2hour boat over to Cat ba.. Meaning we get there by midday, which is perfect.. Booked. Done, leaving tomorrow morning bright and early.. and our bungalow is amazing, its on its own beach on a smaller island off the main land... Super amazing. Gona take no luggage, just the guitar, yoga mats and my togs- no need for towels there incuded, ooh! and brekkie too!! :):) its pretty damn hot at the moment too, so hoping for sun baking and snorkling! I'm sure we'll make it to the main town of Cat Ba 1 night at least.. i'd like to check it out:)

Super glad that I've got the time off to spend with Tim and just to get away from children for awhile, man they are a handful! the rest will be needed, for both of us!

About lozza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.