Existing Member?

Loza's Travels his is it! I am finally getting my chance to travel the land of Europe! Starting with Turkey and the Greek Islands including ANZAC day at Gallipoli before making my way to work in London. Then hopefully earning some money to fund more travel experience

Oxford

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 28 August 2007 | Views [493] | Comments [1]

Work lead me out to Oxford to help out on the mobile scanner up there for a day and seeing as it was a Friday I decided to stay up there for the weekend. Was a long day left home at 6:30 and didn't finish up till 7ish then had to find the hostel. Dropped off bags and headed out to find some dinner and just ended up walking around the lovely old streets as it was a beautiful night and still summer so didn't get dark till 9:30 when I realised I better go have some dinner. Found a little Irish pub and had a toasted sandwich and had a chat to the bartenders and some of the locals. Had the Irish band and it was right on a canal, got a good feeling about Oxford.

Next day headed on my own little walking tour of Oxford and saw the old bodleian library, the radcliffe camera which contains some of the library's oldest collections of books which began in the 1600s. We as tourists are only allowed in the library only for the professors and high up students. Some of the Harry Potter school scenes were shot there. Apparently Oxford University has been around since the 12th Century which is pretty impressive, don't think Melbourne Uni can match that! Wondered on to the covered markets and sampled some of the local fudge and watched someone make a 'shrek' cake in the cake shop.

Then my housemates Kat and Dave came up to Oxford too and we headed to Christ church Collage which was founded in 1525 by cardinal Wolsey(must admit am reading from the broucher now) it was also the scene for some Harry Potter action, it holds the dining room where they all ate and the quadrangle outside where harry and his mates had their quidditch lessons. And it was where the writer of Alice in Wonderland came up with Alice's adventures. There is a beel there that chimes 101 times everynight a 9pm which used to be a sign for the 101 students to get into bed before the bells stopped. 

It was a fantastic weekend and not only as the sun was shinning. Like i said at the start got a good feeling about Oxford with all the history seems like an amazing place so thats it I'm mobing there. Well actually my job in London is coming to an end and the company has asked me to work up in Oxford on the mobile scanner up there till Christmas, so I'm heading to Oxford for 2 months. Hope this feeling of mine is correct or it could be a lonely couple of months.

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

want to share our business with the multinational tour and travel agencies

  Royal Choice Tour & Travels Dec 26, 2007 5:48 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.