Existing Member?

Loza's Travels his is it! I am finally getting my chance to travel the land of Europe! Starting with Turkey and the Greek Islands including ANZAC day at Gallipoli before making my way to work in London. Then hopefully earning some money to fund more travel experience

The Almafi Coast

ITALY | Sunday, 15 July 2007 | Views [1175]

Yeah!!! Mum and Dad are over visiting/holidaying for 3 weeks. They didn't get off to the best of starts as their plane was stranded on the tarmac as terminal 4 at heathrow was closed due to a "suspicious package" being sighted. So after finally leaving the airport around 5 hours after they landed they went straight to their hotel and to bed. Dad did some work the next dad so mum borrowed a car and the brave girl that she is drove into London and over to Elisha's house where we finally met up. Really good seeing mum again and one of the first things she commented on was my little hole in my cardigan!

It was a big week of arrivals as the next day Cath James flew into London and came to stay with me while she was here. Was great to catch up with my old mate from home and then on the saturday Kirsty arrived as well, I had a whole crew of people was just like home! Had a good weekend in London with everyone then it was time for holiday, 2 weeks off, first stop Italy.

Mum, Dad and I flew over to naples then went further south to Sorrento. Arrived in the dark so when we walked around the next day it was beautiful, such stunning scenery, jagged coastline with beautiful towns clinging to the edge. Quickly settled into the relaxed italian mode but always felt underdressed around the locals. They just look to sophisticated and well dressed doing everyday things like their grocery shopping. Also learned that it was ok to have a gelati with every meal as it was so yummy. We had the best weather, no rain at all maybe even a little hot but as I had come from the lack of summer in the UK I wasn't complaining at all.

Visited the town of almafi where we met Neils and his girlfriend for a day out along the coast. Firstly went up to this town up in the hills that had the most amazing view of the coastline, words can't describe. Then got driven further along the coast by a crazy Italian that Neils has met a few days ago. Fresh fish for lunch and a laze on the beach before tackling the windy bus ride back to sorrento.

Time to rub shoulders with the rich, actucally lets call them the mega rich. Caught the ferry over to the Isle of Capri. Wow-we the size of the yachts here are amazing they are bigger than houses and have atleast 2 jetskis in tow. This place is amazing and as the delphin add says "I want to live there." Had a boat ride round the island and saw the famous blue grotto. Walked up to the main town, decent little workout, think dad pushed mum up the hill for the last bit, so ofcourse we deserved another gelati! Wondered around for a bit, shops way to expensive for this traveller, before heading to the marina picallo where all the people from these yachts play. The water was a blue unto itself the only problem with this perfect place was that the beach was a pebble beach, think they could afford to ship over some queensland sand atleast! Oh and i found my yacht that my lotto win will pay for, its called the Utopia!

We headed to Pompei the ancient Roman town that was destroyed/preserved one afternoon about three thousand years ago by the eruption of the volcano Mt Vesuvius. It was like we stepped back in time walking down the same streets, looking at the same archeticture and columns they did back then. After our little bit of ancient history we went decided to pick up the pace and climbed Mt Vesuvius! Was well worth it the only active volcano on mainland europe (I think..) that is still active and pretty good views down over naples and the bay there.

Finished the holiday with a day in Naples which was a crazy busy city and not much chop but it did have all the Pompei relics in the archeological museum, which was worth almost getting hit by numerous cars and motorbikes and getting a bit lost!

Overall a fantastic week away and definately recommend that part of the world to everyone, it is beautiful, check out the photos if you don't believe me.

Tags: Family

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.