Existing Member?

Loza's Travels his is it! I am finally getting my chance to travel the land of Europe! Starting with Turkey and the Greek Islands including ANZAC day at Gallipoli before making my way to work in London. Then hopefully earning some money to fund more travel experience

Istanbul - 2 continents

TURKEY | Monday, 23 April 2007 | Views [1769]

So after a fantastic sleep... even though there was a discotek on downstairs both Elisha and I slept very well for atleast 12 hours so we are adjusted i think!

Time to head out and explore Istanbul

Firstly up to the Blue mosque which is just magnificant from the outside and equally as impressive from the inside. The whole roof is mosaic tiles and just amazing.

Then across the way to the Hagia Sophia and big from the outside but wow on the inside it is so old an amazing the detail that has gone into it, unfortunately ofcourse they were doing some restoration work so the scaffolding was up but as Elisha told me i am to expect that in Europe.

You'll just have to see the pictures of these two buildings as i really can't describe them! Very impressive

Then it was on to Topkapi palace which we got a bit lost trying to find so ended up having a lovely walk through the tulip gardens up to some guards where we had our photos taken as they wanted to and they had big automatic machine guns and so we obeyed them! but dont worry mum they were innocent!

Topkapi Palace was not that much of a highlight I think as we were getting really hungry and we had run out of Lira so needed to find an ATM. Finally found an ATM and had some lunch and we were ready to hit the streets of Istanbul again

Off to cross the Bosphorus and have my first footsteps in Europe YEAH. Crossed the Galata bridge and took photos where it was the middle so we had one foot in two continents! Went up the Galata tower the oldest tower in the world and when we got to it it had an elevator in it! Great views over the city, old and new!

Home to our sultan hostel with a cheeky beer stop on the way as we had a long day, then no time for nap it was across the road to Cheers Bar for another beer where everybody knows your name... Then kebabs for dinner where they were cleaning up the used tables with a little hand held vaccum very funny and maybe a quick idea for all those that work in hospitality! Back to the hostel and had a big party with all the Aussie Fanatics that were partying before making the trek down to ANZAC.

Next day opps slept in had a little to much fun last night so delayed start to the day! Off to do some shopping at the Grand Bizzar, got ripped off buying turkish delight but got my bargaining skates on and bought a pair of shoes for 20 and then got comlplemented by a french guy for haggling over this lamp... got it for 15, down from 42! Early to bed as long bus trip tomorrow down to ANZAC cove tomorrow.

Sorry no photos yet as hard to find camera shop here!

Tags: Culture

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.