Existing Member?

Goodbye New Jersey. Hello World! A record of my journey as I give up my job, my possessions, and life as I know it to go off and see the world!

Random Acts of Kindness in Krakow

POLAND | Sunday, 5 September 2010 | Views [2050] | Comments [3]

I still am in awe over what happened a few days ago as I flew from Tallinn, Estonia, to Krakow, Poland.

I had to take two flights that day. The first flight to Warsaw left me cranky. It was one of those flights where we circled the airport for awhile because for some reason we couldn’t land right away. It was pouring buckets outside and I was all in a tizzy because I thought I would miss my connecting flight to Krakow. Then I got more pissy to learn that this flight had been delayed 2 hours. I remember looking miserably out the window of the airport thinking that I was not going to be in the mood to figure out how to get to my hostel and how tempted I was to get a cab once I flew in.

I finally get on my small, mostly empty airplane and start reading more of my book, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. By the way, this seems to be the book that every backpacker I encounter is reading. Just like so many backpackers have seen Inception abroad. Sorry, went off on a tangent there. Suddenly, the guy sitting across from me in the plane starts talking to me about the book. This is when I met one of the nicest strangers ever.

A brief description: His name is David, lives in California, is about 40, and travels all over the world for his job. His passport is one of the most colorful I have ever seen. He is married with 3 kids (and a fourth on the way!) and talks about his family with great pride. He is incredibly knowledgeable on pretty much everything and is really into chess and the logic behind poker. We had a lot of things in common to talk about, in particular travel. Talking with David was a lovely way to pass the time on this second flight.

As we get closer to landing I sigh and look out the dreary weather. I really didn’t feel like dealing with getting to the hostel but it is all part of the life isn’t it? Suddenly, David mentions that he has a car picking him up to take him to his hotel and offered a ride. Now, of coarse I took a good hard listen to my instincts. You and I both know that this could have potentially led to a shady situation. I did see the movie Taken and yes, I remember it when it comes to trusting strangers. But, there was something about this guy that I genuinely liked and felt like I could trust. So, I went with it and had a great ride to his hotel. This was random act of kindness number one.

Random act of kindness number two: We get to his hotel and then David offers to buy me a hotel room! Just think - a room all to myself - and a shower! I felt a bit guilty agreeing to this, but part of me knew I couldn’t say no, especially after a few nights of poor sleep at the last hostel. His hotel was all booked out, but he walked with me to the next one and booked me a room! This kind gesture completely floored me. To think, I had just met this person a few hours ago and he was doing such a nice act for me. Not only that, but he took me out for dinner as well and we were able to continue with some of the most intellectually stimulating conversation that I have had in ages. After that, I went to bed and slept like a rock. It was an amazing experience.

I really hope that some day I am able to complete some sort of random kind act like David. Perhaps one day in the future I will be the one on the plane, sitting next to a younger version of me and I will be inspired to pay it forward and pass on the good will. I really wish that I could have offered something to David in return, but I am hoping that the company and conversation was good enough. I have made sure to tell quite a few backpackers this story and no one can believe my good fortune.

So thanks David, for a unique traveling experience. I hope that we keep in touch and the spirit of travel alive! I hope that your kids realize what an amazing father that they have.

Comments

1

OK, so when you get home you can pay it forward and take me out for a wonderful steak dinner! This is a great story. I think of you often and I miss you! Love your pics and stories- Keep 'em coming- Be well my friend-

  Dave Sep 5, 2010 10:37 PM

2

OK, so when you get home you can pay it forward and take me out for a wonderful steak dinner! This is a great story. I think of you often and I miss you! Love your pics and stories- Keep 'em coming- Be well my friend-

  Dave Sep 5, 2010 10:37 PM

3

In a world in which we can't trust many anymore, what an amazing event. While most think of only themselves anymore, David was very kind and some what a miracle in this day and age. How fortunate you were to meet him, add some more "patches" to your traveling quilt, enjoy his brief company....hmmm, perhaps he was an angel sent to restore some bit of your spirit!! Love ya, AV

  AV Sep 6, 2010 4:04 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.