Existing Member?

Goodbye New Jersey. Hello World! A record of my journey as I give up my job, my possessions, and life as I know it to go off and see the world!

Fun Times in Copenhagen

DENMARK | Saturday, 14 August 2010 | Views [1729] | Comments [1]

Some little tidbits about my stay in Copenhagen:

(1) Inner-city Copenhagen has many beautiful old buildings including the Palace, Parliament and the Stock Exchange building (my favorite). The city has canals running through it with pretty buildings on both ends and quaint boats docked in the middle. It reminds of Venice in a sense.

(2) There is lots of public transport in Copenhagen - but you have to make sure to give correct change to the bus driver. If not, then you will be paying for a very expensive ride! (of coarse I learned this the hard way, sigh…..)

(3) Copenhagen has its own little Amsterdam-like area called Christiana. They even have their own currency there called “free money”. It’s small and of coarse nothing like Amsterdam but still a must see.

(4) The Natural Museum is free and massive. It is a great place to go on a rainy day and you could spend hours in there.

(5) Hot dogs wrapped in bacon can be found in stands around every corner. They are cheap and delicious. Speaking of food, the danish and other baked goods are also amazing (you would hope so coming from Denmark, right?) The open-faced traditional takeaway sandwiches not so much. I tried one and still am not sure what exactly I ate (something involving fish and mayonnaise and cheese?)

(6) If you are not staying in inner-city than be prepared to do a lot of walking (or take the bus/train). Everything is a lot further than it looks on the map.

(7) The botanical gardens are also free and quite lovely. They have labeled all of the poison plants which I just thought was hilarious. By the way, there are quite a few there.

(8) The famous mermaid statue is currently in Shanghai for the world’s fair. Bummer! Perhaps I will be able to see it when I get there.

(9) Copenhagen is not for the klutzy type (such as myself). Most of the walkways are lined with uneven cobblestone which is very pretty, but I can’t even count how many times I have tripped.

(10) Copenhagen has the tallest carrousel in the world at their world famous Tivoli Amusement park. It also has the largest cinema in Scandinavia. It truly is a grand city worth visiting!

(11) Carlsberg beer is everywhere - enjoy!

Tags: copenhagen, denmark

Comments

1

Well seems like you are still enjoying yourself as a backpacker!!
I have to say you are quiet lucky with the European summer this year. Could have been a lot worse, rain wise!

Keep up the fun stories!

Chantal

  Chantal Aug 14, 2010 2:36 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.