Existing Member?

Where in the world is Lani?

Day 123 - Park + Sunshine = Happy Times

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 20 May 2007 | Views [815]

What to do on a sunny Sunday morning in central London?? Plenty of things, but one thing I have always enjoyed is sitting in the park, drinking coffee and watching life go by. What better opportunity than visiting London's famous Hyde Park, decribed as one of London's finest historic landscapes covering 142 hectares. With over 4,000 trees, a lake, a meadow, horse rides and more it is easy to forget you're in the middle of London. So that's what I did on Sunday morning!

As well as the people watching, I was pleasantly surprised to discover a place in the park called 'Speakers Corner' which happens every Sunday. Not strictly classed “entertainment”, this bastion of British free public speech and free assembly can prove one of the most absorbingly unique, theatrical activities the city has to offer.

Located on the corner of Park Lane and Cumberland Gate, opposite Marble Arch tube, Speakers' Corner is the spiritual home of the British democratic tradition of soapbox. Every Sunday since the right of free assembly was recognised in the 1900's people from all walks of life have gathered to listen to speeches about anything and everything... and to heckle. From Socialism to Sunday trading, sausages to space invaders, the opinions aired here are varied and fascinating. While Karl Marx, Lenin and George Orwell have all used this spot to express their ideals and beliefs, your average speaker isn’t quite as high profile. The coherence of the speakers also varies greatly, but as a whole it makes for great street theatre! I loved it, though wasn't tempted to jump up there myself and have a go!!!!

Loving London right now

Lani

Tags: The Great Outdoors

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.