Existing Member?

Where in the world is Lani?

Day 110 - Holy Toledo!

SPAIN | Monday, 7 May 2007 | Views [1240] | Comments [1]

Well, we don´t say the phrase `Holy Toledo`for nothing!

Today I took the 1 hour bus ride from Madrid centro to Toledo for the day, stepping back in time to tiny cobblestone streets, small shop windows in cute little curving alleys and views of the Spanish countryside to die for!

I started by feeding my newly re-acquired addiction for nice coffee (now that I can buy it here in Europe - sorry south america, you may grow good coffee beans but instant Nescafe just doesn´t cut it!!!). I enjoyed a lovely cafe con leche (coffee with milk) overlooking the Toledo main sqaure, in the sun, lamenting over how wonderful life is!

Then it was time for walking the religious path (literally). The main cathedral of Toledo is the most amazing building I have seen so far on my travels - with 26 separate areas for partons it was absolutely unbelievably huge and magestic. Just goes to show the amount of power and $$ that the catholic church had in those times.

After touring some other places, like monasteries and other smaller churches I stopped in to a small convent where the nuns are cloistered. I really didnt know what this means until it was explained that the nuns do not have any ´sight´contact with the general public... i.e they can only talk to you but not look at you.

It was strange because they had a small shop there which sold handmade treats from the nuns kitchen, so I bought some handmade marzipan cakes which were served from behind a small trapdoor... crazy but memorable. And the cakes - delicious!

So, Toledo is definitely a place worth visiting if you like the religious aspects of grand cathedrals, historic monasteries and marzipan cakes made by cloistered nuns!!!

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

haha i can imagine cakes coming out of a trap door hahaha how funny!

  meegan May 11, 2007 2:10 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.