Existing Member?

Where in the world is Lani?

Day 12 - Sun in Santa Lucia

CHILE | Monday, 29 January 2007 | Views [7652] | Comments [2]

Hi everyone

Today we have been exploring the sites of one of the most beautiful areas within Santiago - Santa Lucia. We started the day be visiting Indigenous Chilean markets & then to the Cerro Santa Lucia.

Its pretty much the biggest thing here in the suburb - a massive hill with monuments to saints of Chile & also a guy named Vincent MacKenna who liberated Chile many years ago. It was quite a hike up many irregular and windy cobblestone stairs, but the view of the city & Andes from the top cant be beaten. All the buildings on the Cerro are painted yellow with white trim, so most of it looks like a wedding cake or similiar.

We have spent the early afternoon at a massive artesian market, looking for things that are authentic to Chile - what a mission. The markets are open until 9pm so we still have some time to go back and spend our pesos.

Tonight we are hoping to get to a restaurant named Como Agua para Chocolate (like water for chocolate) as it sounds great and i loved the movie and book

xoxoxo

Lani

Cerro Santa Lucia in Santiago

Cerro Santa Lucia in Santiago

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Lani,
Finally found your journal took a while after talking to mum. What can I say wish I was with you and Ang. The journal is a great way of taking us on tour with you & allowing us to enjoy step by step visits in Chilli. I just love it and picture sightseeing with you.
Zane has his first trial game for soccer on sunday and we are now just beginning another season.
Trud is still hanging around we will have to get her motivated in doing something & anything.
Sad to say the Chilian tennis player came second to Federer it was a great game.
Best get going love to you both and keep on trekking.
Sheryle & Family

  Shez Worboys Jan 30, 2007 10:32 AM

2

Hi Lani,
Sorry I haven`t replied earlier-busy with uni stuff. Have to say that I loved "Like Water For Chocolate too." Was the 1st foreign language film I ever saw. Hope you let us know how the reastaurant was.

  Kathryn Feb 5, 2007 7:03 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.