Existing Member?

Nomada lllll africa ll north america l central america l south america

leaving the nile, back to kinhouse

UGANDA | Monday, 15 February 2010 | Views [723] | Comments [3]

After 15days in Lugazi area, I headed east for a Nile River adventure. Crossing the water via a large bridge, I breathed deep with excitement. A few hours later, there I was on board a raft with 5 other Mzungus and a guide from South Africa. Our first rapid was so exciting but even though it was a level 5 we didn’t flip and I was thrilled to be in the boat still as I was a bit nervous at nature’s large mass of h2o on all sides of me. We continued on and eventually the river mellowed and we got to jump in and swim along side as the raft slowly glided along. I couldn’t believe I was in the middle of the Nile River. No hippos or crocs were seen unfortunately but naked youth and local fishermen were enough entertainment as I saw the daily life of the Nile dwellers. The water was so warm and fresh I didn’t desire to get out but luckily upon hopping on the raft we received ½ a pineapple each and some biscuits for our lunch. Oh I am so thankful for fresh tropical fruits! More level 5s a few smaller but rougher rapids and we were nearly at the end. Our final rapid was a series that forced us hold tight as we clung for life through the first but were flown in all directions on the final decent. I couldn’t even see where we were or where we were going all I knew is that the tide was strong and if we didn’t want to go to Egypt we must hop in and row quickly. We paddled our hearts out and the day ended with a lovely BBQ equipped with plenty of green for me and a nice local fruit juice as we recapped the day overlooking the Nile on the campsites deck. Luckily I was able to talk my way into staying longer to volunteer work with the local school and women’s group. My heart didn’t want to leave that river. I continued there for the following three days. Thursday and Friday I was able to travel to a few schools where I painted a few classrooms and came back for afternoon dips into the Nile. This could be heaven. In the evenings I enjoyed reading midsummer night’s dream which really made me feel even more like I was in a dream world of magical events. I sat watching the community at the campsite where groups of English, Russian, and American volunteers and water athletes of all sorts meshed for a rousing night of giant drunken Jenga. By day I talked with locals artisans before having a meal in the almost tipping over hut along the dirt road, and when too hot, I jumped into the river for a relaxing Nile cleanse. My final day I taught another group of women the fireless stove and once again was met with confused looks of mistrust. Once again however the amazing rice meal came out tasting perfect and I was proud to say that within 1 week, ive taught this technique to over 50 women. This is the rewarding experience ive been searching for! The women’s group called SOUL is run by a group of member in the community and headed by a New Yorker named Brooke. It was great to connect with them and I would like to send anyone interested in volunteering with sustainable women’s education in her direction so let me know. It got dark outside and I feared having to return to Kampala in the dark but I had no choice. I arrived and found a friendly boda to take me all the way to the village. The huge jam would have forced me to stay in traffic for nearly 2hours if id taken a matatu but luckily my boda whizzed in and out of the cars on the sidewalk and into unpathed paths to get me into the Kin house safely. I was received by a bunch of new kids who had returned from holiday break and I was sooo sooo happy to back with my family. Much love!

Comments

1

Boy sounds exciting! The water part was a little scary for me be careful girl. You are going to have so many stories to tell, are you just loving it there? I bet you are.
Take care of you and remember we love you.
Tammy

  Tammy Feb 16, 2010 11:20 AM

2

Hi Sister,
Nice to hear of ur rafting experience, i left Lugazi just as u were about to go to Jinja for the rafting, i bet u enjoyed immensely. did u see the men i told u daring the Nile with the plastic water jerricans?
It was nice being with u in Lugazi, keep up the good work u are doing there.
All the best in Uganda.
Mama Rachel and Gloria!

  Edith Feb 17, 2010 5:50 AM

3

Hiya honey, thats so amazing!!! Im happy for you and the experiences you are being blessed with. And for the nile, glad you got a piece of serenity of me backwords....haha! No oh thats really funny. I love you! And i wanted to get together with the idea of pen pals to see if calvin and someone can become a pal! Lots of Love :)

  Elin Feb 28, 2010 11:35 AM

About kena


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.