Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

Salvador de Bahia

BRAZIL | Tuesday, 14 April 2009 | Views [1048]

Spent a couple more days dodging the rain in Rio before I headed North to Salvador. It was cheaper to fly with the low cost airline Webjet than it was to get the bus.

I was now in the company of Ron from Israel, Cassie and Danielle both from Melbourne. I'd arranged for a taxi to pick us from the airport and take us to the hostel.  Given the fact that Salvador is as bad if not worse than Rio for crime, it was a new city, we'd be arriving late (even later then scheduled as the plane was delayed) and given my recent ordeal it seemed like a good option. Besides, I later found out that a bus on it's way to Salvador from Rio was 'held up' and all the passenger's belonging stolen!

Salvador de Bahia to give it it's proper name, is known as the African soul of Brazil. Here African descendants preserve their culture in music, dance and martial arts.

Checked into Hostel Galeria 13, a small yet cool hostel run by an English guy. It´s located in Pelourinho (The historical centre), an area renowned for its Portuguese colonial architecture with historical monuments dating from the 17th through the 19th centuries and has been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO

 

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.