Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

Robbed at knife point..probably some little s**ts from the favela!!!

BRAZIL | Sunday, 12 April 2009 | Views [1508] | Comments [1]

The largest Flavela in Rio..the thieving b*****ds are in there somewhere!!!

The largest Flavela in Rio..the thieving b*****ds are in there somewhere!!!

Not a great day for the beach so went to the local market in Ipanema with some others from the hostel. Interesting stuff.

In the evening I popped out from the hostel with Tania to grab a quick bite to eat. On our return we were jumped by 5 knife wielding youths only metres from the hostel. Just before it happened we'd noticed that something wasn't right but by then it was too late. Tania was frisked by one, only for him to get a couple of Reals. Luckily she had the rest hidden elsewhere. Me on the other hand had the other 4 pointing knives at me demanding 'money money'. I was rendered helpless, as when I reached into my pockets to give them money, I had knifes thrust at me. So I just raised my arms, and thought 'take what you want'.

They went through my pockets but they couldn't find any money as it was hidden in a cigarette box. This made them even more angry, as hey, I'm a gringo, of course I have money. With them still demanding 'money money', I indicated that it was in the box. Then they were gone. It was at this point I mentioned 'card' and they threw back my cash card. Which most considerate of them I thought. The stupid thing is I never take out my card apart from a quick dash to the ATM. 35 Reals (10 pounds) down and extremely shaken, we just couldn't believe what had happened. The feeling was almost dreamlike; not a good one at that! The most incredible thing is that no one came up to us afterwards, and there were a few people around. That's Rio!

A stiff drink was needed. Several to be precise. Went down to the local bar 'Emporium' with a few people from the hostel.

Comments

1

My wife and I just returned from Brazil today. We also got surrounded by some Favela kids (on the beach, midday) who demanded we give them something. No knives luckily, but I did take two nice kicks to my leg, which still hurts. They ran away empty handed though, as we weren't carrying much other than our sandals and a lonely planet. While being kicked, I reached for my back pocket, which I had a 50 Real bill that I was going to give them.. but I think they thought I was reaching for a weapon, and scrammed. Rio has a lot of cleaning up to do in my opinion, before the world cup and Olympics...

  Lucas May 6, 2011 2:04 AM

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.