Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

Capoeira in Salvador

BRAZIL | Wednesday, 15 April 2009 | Views [929]

Took in the local sights during the day. This place is full of people trying to sell you stuff to the point of annoyance! 

In the evening went to a Capoeira show at a nearby theatre. Not the sort of thing I'd normally go for, but it was amazing. Basically Capoeira is an Afro-Brazilian art form that involves movements from martial arts and dance. It was created in Brazil by the slaves brought from Africa. Participants form a circle, and take turns either playing musical instruments  or ritually sparring in pairs in the center of the circle. The sparring is marked by fluid acrobatic play and extensive use of sweeps and kicks. I´d seen this at home on Brighton seafront and wondered what it was!!!

Later had some food and drinks in one of the many cobbled streets listening to live music, and trying to avoid the numerous street vendors and beggars.

 

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.