Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

Road Trip - Day 2...Ban Na Hin - Lak Xao

LAOS | Monday, 24 November 2008 | Views [671]

Khong Lor Caves - Feeling a little uncomfortable with the familarity of the boatman!

Khong Lor Caves - Feeling a little uncomfortable with the familarity of the boatman!

Set off early to the Khong Lor caves.  To access the caves we had to ride through the surrounding farmland over dirt tracks.  It was a great ride as we raced over the tracks leaving a dust trails past the fields and villages.
 
We were the first Falang at the caves so had pretty much an exclusive boat ride into the limestone caverns.  The cave network went on for 7km and was amazing.  Using only potholing lamps we could make out the enormity of the caverns and underground water systems.  Occasionally we would have to stop and get out since the boat would ground out in the shallow waters.  We were in there for about three hours....it was vast!  What made more amazing was that it has been untouched by modern intervention, ie lights etc.  It has remained the same since it has been discovered.....apart from the motorboats making their way through the darkness. 
 
After the caves we doubled back and headed for the pass between the Phou Hin Poun and the Nakai Nam Theun conservation areas.  We hadn't gone far into the pass when I realised that Tim was not behind me.  I waited for a while before heading back.  In the meantime had gone back since he had a puncture.  Oblivious of this, I thought he'd gone off in the bush and had an accident.  I really started to panic as I couldn't find him.  The locals couldn't help and it was getting dark.  I made my way back to main town in the darkness dodging all the potholes and ruts in the road.  Fortunately we found each other in the town, where Tim had already had his bike repaired.
 
Both hungry and pissed off that we lost time, we headed for a local restaurant....well at least it looked like a restaurant.  We sat down and were then joined by two young Laos girls...another pick up joint!  Nothing to eat here.....not of the food variety anyway!
  
Memorable Points:  Caves, countryside, losing Tim, puncture No1, Hookers (again)

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.