Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

Road Trip - Day 3....Lak Xao - Nr Nongthat

LAOS | Tuesday, 25 November 2008 | Views [721]

Puncture repair no2....Fonejacker fixes the tyre!

Puncture repair no2....Fonejacker fixes the tyre!

The first repair on Tim's bike was unsuccessful so we had so get it fixed again in the town.  After an hour or so we headed back towards the pass again.  The map had identified the track as 4WD only but it didn't matter as the bikes could go anywhere.  It was an incredible ride through the mountain road, passing rivers, lakes, villages and waterfalls.  It is definitely the best way to see the country.
 
We rode for miles stopping occasionally for a rest bite in the local villages.  The last leg was incredible and one of those moments that I'm sure will remain with me.  The roads narrowed into single tracks only used by farmers and local villagers.  At one point we pulled over to work out which way we needed to go. After only a few minutes we were surrounded by about 60 of the villagers.  It was so funny, as they just stood there staring at us and the bikes.  With our limited vocabulary we bought a bottle of Lau Lau (their homemade brew), gave the kids some pens and some medical supplies to the one of the men.  It was a priceless moment.
 
We headed off into the jungle following the tracks.  It was now getting late and uncertain of where we may end up, we turned back towards the previous main village.
 
We found accommodation in some Army barracks of all places.  It must have been the worst nights sleep I've ever had.  The roosters started their morning chorus at 3am onwards, and then the soldiers did their parade call at 5am!
Memorable Points:  Meeting the local villagers and sharing some Lau Lau, Dirt biking in the jungle tracks

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.