Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Spain

SPAIN | Thursday, 17 May 2012 | Views [1300]

Barcelona Cathedral stained glass

Barcelona Cathedral stained glass

Monday 30th April – Saturday 12th May 2012

Spain

Sevilla April 30 – May 2

The most hair-raising part about hotels in Sevilla is the microscopically narrow streets you need to negotiate to get to them…and when you get there you wind down microscopically narrow ramps in your car to twist and contort into the most microscopically narrow parking space…for which you then pay €12-25/day!

The next day we met up with Deborah, our friend from Melbourne who would be travelling with us for the next 10 days.  Being May Day, we wandered around the streets of the old town and immediately realized what a gregarious bunch the Spanish are.  They love to socialize, to chat, to gossip and to be seen out and about.  It’s a very appealing style!

We spent the next couple of days exploring the relics of this town that was once the centre of trade, culture and power for the whole world! Beautiful Sevilla Palace with its magnificent Moorish architecture and rambling gardens.  The Sevilla Cathedral once a Mosque but now adorned with silver and gold Christian symbols and treasures.  It was here that we saw Columbus’ tomb - he’d set off from Sevilla to discover the New World in 1490.  Also interesting was the way in which successive powers (Greek/Roman/Visigoth/Moor/Catholic) have superimposed themselves on the remains (read “ruins”) of a vanquished predecessor…so much that’s Catholic melts into Moorish which is built on Visigoth, Roman etc…you get the picture.  The food is quite different, too, with plenty of tapas, paella, calamari etc…and the Seville oranges are great when the heat kicks in.

We were to find in all these towns that the modern sprawl which surrounds the “old town” is rambling, ugly and shabby - it’s the old part, within the walls, that attracts us…

 

Cordoba May 3-4

The evidence of conquest, demolition, re-modelling and “incorporating” is nowhere more evident than in Cordoba.  The audacity of the catholic monarchs in building their cathedral right in the middle of the Moors’ beautiful Mezquita is breathtaking.  What an architectural headache that must have been for the architect back 600 years ago, not to mention the risk of execution if you got it wrong!  The Mezquita is exquisite…and the cathedral is exquisite…one within the other.  Surrounding all this are the remains of Romans…….the water wheel in the Guadalquivir river (which runs down through Sevilla and carried Columbus to sea all those years ago), the beautiful bridge, arch and wall nestled behind which is the synagogue, built in 1315 and last used in 1492, an amazing year in Spanish history.  The Catholics expelled the Muslims and Jews, took over their synagogues and mosques and then introduced ham…lots of ham! There they were….legs of ham hanging in every bodega, café and tavern, some of which must be still there and look like they’d been hanging since 1492!

We had a lovely interlude in a local bodega, overflowing with bullfighting memorabilia where the locals sat huddled at tables sipping fino (Mortillo sherry) and discussing all the important things in life.  Of course the bodega princess joined in…

Dinner that night was memorable for the disgruntled behaviour of our waiter who recommended that we not tip as “it would all go to madam, the owner, anyway”…as if we were going to tip - as it was we had to just about arm-wrestle madam for our change!

Must have’s in Spain:  sweet orange juice for desayuno, tapas, chilled cerveza, afternoon siestas to maintain the stamina needed to dine at 9 or 10 at night!

 

Granada May 4-6

It was the Alhambra that makes Granada…as is the case with the Mezquita in Cordoba; there’s a lot of super-imposition: Roman destroyed by Visigoth, Moor on Visigoth, Catholic on Moor…highlights included the wonderful Moorish architecture and a stroll past the reflective pools, fountains and spring flowers in the gardens with the views across Granada.  The nightlife was lively, fuelled by a soccer game between Granada and Madrid.  The locals get right into it and head for the tavernas with the blue and white painted faces of their beloved soccer team – Granada FC. We heard lots of raucous chanting of the usual soccer team war cries, and saw chooks, Scots in kilts and grooms in nappies…Saturday night is bucks night in Granada and the guys were out in force everywhere!

 

Toledo May 6-7

Driving from Granada one goes through the heart of Don Quixote country known as “La Mancha”.  We stopped by the Inn at Puerto Lapice, which inspired the author Cervantes to write another tale about his “knight” Don Quixote.  It was of course all fiction.  The Inn had a bevy of touristy statues, kids’ swords, armour and of course there were also the many tales of his heroic deeds in the children’s book section.  The book covers reminded Princess Dulcinea of her days of cataloguing them in the school library.

On to Toledo….the former capital of Visigoth Spain.  We didn’t know what to expect of this little town except perhaps its narrow streets and ancient history.  In fact it’s quite a charming little place – worth the time spent walking around to see more super-imposition, plenty of marzipan and the odd sword shop for which Toledo is famous.   The river winds itself around the town’s walls and the views whilst walking are picturesque.  After dinner at a delightful restaurant, we took in a little culture at the arts centre – listening to an ensemble group with bodhran, cello, drums and mandolin accompanying an energetic dancer.  One night in Toledo was not enough…

 

Madrid May 7-10

Because of the difficulty of parking the car in narrow city spaces, we decided to stay a little out of town and train in to the city. The three days commenced with a 3 hour walking tour around the city which was excellent. Each day we walked at least 12 kms, and each day we visited one of three art galleries…the famous Prado, the Reina Sofia and the Museum Thyssen-Bornemisza. All housed collections of classical and modern artists.  To see Van Gogh, Picasso, Dali, and the European Masters was inspiring and exhausting, so we all spent the afternoon ambling around the huge Park del Retiro then having a snooze in the sun just like the Spaniards do in their three hour lunch break.

We scooted quickly past the former headquarters of the Spanish Inquisition which bullied, tortured and murdered umpteen alleged heretics over a period of 350 years!

To cap off our Grand Tour of Madrid we committed another three hours to a Civil War (1936-39) walking tour.  Former battlefields, shrapnel pocked statues and buildings that once housed torturers as well as the tortured…it put the complex politics of 1930’s Spain into much clearer perspective. Then it was a farewell to Deborah as we headed off to Barcelona.

 

Barcelona May 10-12

Driving out of Madrid was fine…trusting that our faithful Tomtom works and makes the journey more relaxing.  Our aim had been to arrive at our hotel in Barcelona at 8pm after doing the Civil War tour in Madrid. The plan went well except that we think our new Tomtom had carked it in the Spanish heat.  The next morning we met up with Jessie and Rod whom we’d last seen in Alice Springs in March - it’s great catching up with old friends when we can.  The visit to the Gaudi designed Cathedral (Sagrada Familia) was inspirational.  Started in 1882 it is “rushing” to completion in 2020.  The beauty of its columns, seemingly haphazard structure and the stained glass is amazing. When (if?) completed it will be beautiful.  Then it was time to walk past a Gaudi designed Hotel to find some lunch.  The Rambla is the long pedestrian mall lined with shops, kiosks and a fabulous market.  It leads down to the marina area, where another honour to Columbus stands…the mighty monument of him facing out to sea.  It was from here that we bade farewell to Jessie and Rod after a great day of exploring and set off to the Metro and our hotel in the ‘burbs.  

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.