Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

En route to Seville

FRANCE | Thursday, 17 May 2012 | Views [735]

Hossegor, France...famous surf beach

Hossegor, France...famous surf beach

Sunday 29th April

En route to Spain

The plan was to leave Paris early and head to Spain.  If we were to contend with end of holiday traffic and negotiate the wonderful motorways out of Paris then we should get going early; but after such a delightful indulgence the previous day, we took off in drizzling weather a little later than planned. 

What do you see on an AutoRoute?  Cars, speed, big fuel stations and brown tourist signs showing you what you didn’t get to see as you whizz past….we especially lamented over the signs with the castles of the Loire or Da Vinci’s home thinking that at least we have seen them more personally than this. 

Anyway to be in Seville by Wednesday means we need to be like the Parisians and get there fast!  So speeding through the Loire Valley, bypassing where a great grandma was from (Bordeaux) we couldn’t wait to get out of the fast lane and go west…as The Village People once said. 

The SW corner of France has the best surf beaches.  Having been to Hossegor before and seeing its big surf and Rip Curl, Billabong and Quiksilver shops, the approach from the north was quite different.  We expected to see a coastal road and rolling sand dunes….sort of a bit like coming through Torquay and hitting the Great Ocean Rd.  In reality we drove through hectares of pine plantations as we hugged the coast, passing kms of varying stages of grown and harvested timber, stumps and neat stacks of pine. It was later that we read in our trusty DK guidebook that the tree plantations are helping to keep the sand dunes in place as the roaring Atlantic winds shift them.  It was after 7pm that we finally found a campsite open where we could pitch the tent for the night…amongst tall pines of course.  We had tried for a campsite next to the dunes of Vieu-Boucou-les Bains but management had closed at 6pm.  We’re just a little early in the season…but as they say here… “de rien”!

 

And so it was the next morning that we found ourselves on the most popular surf beach in France where the summer population swells by thousands.  Hossegor has very fast tubes as they say in the trade but on this grey stormy morning in April there was no sign of tubes, people, surf schools or coffee shops open for custom.  It was in the bakery in nearby Capbreton that we resorted for warmth, coffee and paninis. The local “Gateau Basque” finished us off - a yummy almond cake. We then headed off on a 750km drive to Sevilla in Southern Spain.

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.