Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

A homely lunch in Paris

FRANCE | Thursday, 17 May 2012 | Views [463]

Fresh strawberries

Fresh strawberries

A fabulous home cooked lunch party…..Parisian food with Parisian guests. We firstly indulged in some “truly named” champagne from the Champagne region with a few cheesy bikkies for starters, then a fabulous terrine (duck breast and liver), an oven roasted veggie lasagna, a baked risotto, washed down with a French pinot noir.  Now having spent many years in wineries in Tassie, my opinion has always been that the pinot from there is unbeatable.  Well…. cuz David and Jean Marc knocked that on the head.  They say the French is the best. In France around mid afternoon the cheeses come forth…Jodie had sourced the cheeses from the expert at her local deli…and they must be for her unpasteurized.  Unpasteurized cheese is fuller in flavour and sought after in France, even though the Govt prefers it not to be sold.  Cuz says that Australia is not allowed to sell it at all, so I’ve checked this out and have found that there’s only one exception down under.  On Bruny Is, Tas they sell a really nice unpasteurized cheese which is a bit like a gruyere.  The French cheese platter must also have a good comte which is from the Franche Comte region.  We remember tasting it at a cheese farm last year and are quite excited that in June we’ll have about 20 days in the region to do a little more (gastronomic) research on this. The unpasteurized camembert was excellent, as was the rich blue vein.  Next – dessert….Their teenage girls can hardly wait for the cheeses to finish so they can get into the dessert which usually appears late in the afternoon.  Today it was apple cake with big, yummy, flavoursome strawberries and an almond ice cream polished off with a sauterne from the Bordeaux region.  This completed our degustation.  One could now indulge in a cognac with coffee to follow…couldn’t one?

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.