Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

UK, Germany, France

GERMANY | Thursday, 26 April 2012 | Views [697]

Beautiful Paris...

Beautiful Paris...

Friday 13th April – Saturday 26th April 2012

Wales and England

With our friends we said farewell to the sheep and the peat bogs and headed to Dublin for their flight back to Oz and our ferry back to Wales. After an uneventful trip to Holyhead by ferry and an overnight nearby, we arrived to find Tim and his yurt in the paddock complete with canvas roof.  Dinner at The Bell at Skenfrith was delightful, then on Sunday we said farewell to this special part of the Welsh/England neighbouring borders with rolling hills, frosty mornings and set off to a National Trust house built in Elizabethan times.  We’re always impressed with the standards of National Trust estates. Canons Ashby did not disappoint.  Heavy oak beams, thick walls with murals and a real, but dead rabbit hanging by the stove in the kitchen near a pot of sage to capture the period…all as if ready to cook!!

A quick car service and re-registration in Bedford, goodbye to Em & Sammy, then a visit to Amanda in Rusthall and overnight with Penny in Fleet – the highlight was dinner at The House at Home pub owned by Henry Blofeld’s (doyen of cricket commentators) daughter…

Then we had a quick look at Chartwell, home of Winston Churchill.  It was an enjoyable time seeing this once quite liveable home.  The gardens were beautiful at this time of year. 

Germany

We crossed on the Dunkirk ferry, stopped over in Gent in Belgium for our first night under canvas in 2012, and drove on to our friends, the Vetters, in Bedburg, Germany.  Bedburg has large lignite mines nearby, so our friends showed us a huge open cut lignite mine (une mine de ciel ouvert, as they say).  It was interesting and informative to watch the huge excavators in action.  Because of mine expansion some of the local towns will be relocated.

What a fun loving family they are – after meeting them last year in Aix en Provence, we took up where we’d left off and fitted in immediately.  They indulged our taste buds in a variety of traditional german cooking, shared a pizza party with their friends, who fortunately can speak English, visited the old walled town and played the odd game of snap with their lovely kids…ouch…we promise to return for a longer visit next time.

France

On Sunday we headed for Paris – reminding ourselves about the pressure of autoroute driving…phew…F1 has nothing on that experience!  Then we embedded ourselves once again in the busy, boisterous lives of the cousins, la Famille Campbell.

Ah to be in Paris in the Springtime…..it’s a beautiful city.  The flowers are stunning, the trees in the Tuileries are greening up and the food as always is devine.  We have been catching up with our cousins and learning more about great places to visit. We love their mastery of the language and their books and their understanding of the Francophiles.  France is in the midst of a fiery electoral campaign, so watching it unfold in French and understanding their interpretation of events makes it all the more exciting! Last night Jodie drove us through the wonderful crazy roundabouts in Paris, to dinner over the river.  Engorging in escargots and calamars laced with du vin rouge….we’re back in one of the favourite gastronomic wonders of the world.  After dinner, Paris was abuzz with police and gendarmerie cars and vans hurtling around towards the Champs Elysees….we learnt later that over 100 police cars had held a protest along there.

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.