Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Catalonia, the Pyrenees and black radish

SPAIN | Thursday, 17 May 2012 | Views [1361]

The Pyrenees - the Yellow train viaduct

The Pyrenees - the Yellow train viaduct

Catalonia, the Pyrenees and black radish

May 12-13

The Tomtom has failed us and so it was on a Saturday that we found there is no real person available online or on the phone to talk to about what to do when technology collapses.  Luckily we have the old Tomtom with its seven country maps of Europe which we can change at each border.  The maps are old, but it’s a trusty back up when the new one fails us.  Despite this we wended our way along the back roads to the NE area known as Catalonia of which Barcelona is the capital.   The area is autonomous and has its own flag.  The coastal highways are scenic and popular, so our aim was to hug the coast and avoid the motorways. 

Salvador Dali must have been a bit of a character.  He was born in nearby Figueres, loved the seaside village of Port Lligat and built a house by the sea.  His beloved wife Gala wanted a house in the country so Dali bought a special house, the Castle of Pubol, for her in 1969.  It was here that she lived her life to the full in queenly splendor.  Dali had to make appointments in advance.  Gala would sit on the blue throne to receive him.

All the coastal towns are scenic…Cadaques, Port Lligat, Cerbere and over the border in France there are places such as Banyules sur Mer, where the Roussillon grapes are grown, and Coulioure.  We found a camping ground for the night, its owners full of enthusiasm.  Our rusty French is steadily improving as we exchanged basic conversation en francais.

Now for the Pyrenees…..such beauty next to the coast.  A melting pot of history, medieval castles, churches, ski fields, solar technology and magnificent views.  We left the coast bathed in sunshine and wended our way up towards Andorra, but as we climbed higher we were immersed in a fog that would make a Londoner cringe.  The road was narrow, visibility was really poor and there was no point continuing.  Turning around was interesting and scary and we retreated down the twisted roads of the Pyrenees towards Peret. 

On the way we took in the sights of fortresses, hideaways for Resistance fighters, early examples of solar-generator structures and the track of the “Yellow Train”. Oh…the reference to the black radish…this odd specimen was found at a fermier (farm-shop) and looked like a must-have secret ingredient for an Iron Chef episode...we’ve never seen anything like it before and the farmer’s wife had no way to explain what it was and what to do with it – it’ll probably end up as mash!

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.