Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Madame Murat's and a boat trip up The Lot, France

FRANCE | Wednesday, 20 July 2011 | Views [2361]

Sunday 3rd – Tuesday 12th July    Madame Murat's and a boat trip up The Lot, France

Argghhhh……after a 9am Sunday morning escape out of Paris, past Versailles and onto the A11 and A10 along with 2 million other Parisians, we headed south on the second day of the long Summer holidays here.  All fuel stations had no parking spaces left, the rest stops were full, so we just had to keep on going.  The campsite we booked is near Cahors and on the Lot river….very relaxing, kids on holidays everywhere and it has a bar, restaurant, swimming pool and evening discos for the kidlets around here!  When the Abba music started, we decided to retire (again).

The week has been spent in the valleys of the Lot and Dordogne in the Midi-Pyrenees region.  Both rivers are famous in France for their scenic river valleys and impressive cliffs, villages built on rock faces, red wine, truffles, walnut oil, pate de foie gras, canoeing, boating, and medieval architecture. 

Marion & Brenton joined us for the week, so off we chuffed for a ploughman’s lunch at Madame Murat’s…..talk about an ordinary restaurant in an ordinary village made famous by the writing of a single book about Mme Murat and her gastronomic delights. M & B have dined there before, so we looked forward to a luncheon of soup, home baked bread, canard (duck), local cheeses followed by a magnificent crème brulee!  We all tried to sneak a photo of one of the guests…Mary Moody from “ABC Gardening” fame who has a little “vacance” rental in a nearby village. Well spotted Marion….talk about spot the Aussie!

The next day we self-boated along the Lot River, negotiating locks like true veterans at first following two other hire boats but we gladly went past them after their panic in a Lock when the incoming water swamped their boat! The dolomite cliffs rise high above the river, and Jim excitedly described the upward thrusting tens of millions of years ago of the tectonic plates and the rock once being coral reefs and now sedimentary, dolomite or basalt like.  Gee to us it was more like a mixture of layers with a dash of balsamic!  Our picnic lunch we’d put together was sumptuous even by French standards, and it was great to see the villages from a different and slower perspective.

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.