Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Le Tour de France, Day 9 at St Jacques des-Blats

FRANCE | Wednesday, 20 July 2011 | Views [313]

Day 9, on Sunday 9th July, Le Tour de France at Saint Jacques des Blats was our next highlight - the locals seem to get more involved in the sponsor (give away) caravans that precede the actual passing of the race than the race itself.  There seemed to be 45 minutes of sponsor caravans, with lots of throw-down give-aways from ornate floats, but only a flash of colour as 200 cyclists raced past in 3 packs, called peletons, all to a roar of clapping and cheering.  The morning rain cleared to a beautiful, cool afternoon; we had a fantastic viewing point of the descent into St Jacques des-Blats followed by the whirlwind of cycles, motorbikes and support cars as they all started their ascent to the ski resort of Le Laurian.  Le Tour is one scary race – and not just because of the cyclists’ speed – it’s the cat and mouse game between the cars, the motorbike-mounted photographers and the cyclists themselves for every minute of the 6 hour ride, each day! That day was a precedent in race history - later, whilst we sat in the tavern in the ski resort later watching the telly to see the remainder of that race.  An official car slammed into one of the first five and knocked him onto the road, then the next cyclist went over the top of him!  This was a bit of a shock to the rest of those in the pub! 

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.