Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Visit to La Brévine, Le Locle

SWITZERLAND | Friday, 27 May 2011 | Views [1075]

La Brevine Church c1604

La Brevine Church c1604

Friday 20th May

Visit to La Brévine, Le Locle

We spent another day wallowing in Bouvier roots!  Apparently, a young local girl named Marie Henriette Huguenin turned the eye of a shy, taciturn aristocrat named Bouvier who was out on a ramble from Neuchâtel..and the rest is history!  After all these years of accusing our Darwin mate Albi of coming from “lonely goatherd” stock, it transpires that Janet herself emanates from the loneliest of the lonely – they don’t call La Brévine “Switzerland’s Siberia” for nothing!  The Winter temperature often hits the coldest Swiss temp records at -30°C.  The village is up long and winding roads high in the mountains and is quite remote.

So, now she’s the Goatherd Princess, at least for a while…

We had a morning of graveyards, old churches and attempts to engage with bureaucrats for more family records…all thwarted by the miniscule working hours these folks enjoy!  We showed up at the local office of the Statd Administrative at 11.55am to find them already locked and bolted for the weekend, when the official close is noon – how dare they - we contacted Zurich to have their pay docked! 

So we decided on lunch.  The choice had to be at the Hotel de Ville as all else was closed for two hours!  Everything shuts down – schools, shops, offices, everything!  The menu offered one choice – a 3 course lunch consisting of soup, goulash and ice cream.  We then walked to the church (c1604) where in Sept 1811 Charles Frederic Bouvier married Marie Henriette Huguenin.  

Then it was on to Le Locle (home of the first Swiss watchmaker) to see the town where a few more rellies were born in the mid 1770’s.  Le Locle is far more modern, bustling and all the big watchmakers are in this area…Tag Heuer, Tissot, Rolex, Omega etc.

Tracing the rellies will take time…the task will be to see how far one can track the Bouvier clan - hopefully back to when they left France.  

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.