Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Visit to Aarberg, Biel and Neuchâtel, Switzerland

SWITZERLAND | Friday, 27 May 2011 | Views [838]

Where Great Grandpa lived, Aarberg

Where Great Grandpa lived, Aarberg

Thursday 19th May

Visit to Aarberg, Biel and Neuchâtel, Switzerland

OK, now the historic part of the expedition begins with a visit to Aarberg to see the old home and interrogate the authorities for family history.  Thanks to our Swiss-speaking friend, Caro, we found the local “Council” office who looked up records about Jules Samuel Bouvier.  No luck…it turns out that Jules was baptized here, rather than being born here, so we must travel to Biel for their official records about this Canton, to see if there’s any information about any rellies who once lived in Aarberg.  (We later found that we need to go to Neuchâtel to their offices as it was in this Canton that he was born). Confused?  So were we.... Fortunately the distances are small and the country beautiful so there’s no problem undertaking this paper chase…

Aarberg is a charming village, and the Altstadt (old part of town) has shops and buildings surrounding a town square.  Armed with a photocopy of a postcard of the town square sent to Grandpa decades ago, we stood by the same fountain and took a photo of the same building that his father lived in before leaving for Australia. 

So after coffee in the Konditorei and a walk around the square we walked through the old wooden bridge over the river and to the rear of his house.  The back of this tall building is a wall of wooden shingles, all quite weathered now. 

Biel (in French it’s called Bienne) is a lovely city on the lake.  Tall buildings, organized streetscapes, upmarket, expensive shopping and more Konditoreis and chocolate shops!  The Admin office was closed for the 2 hour lunch break, so we’ll come back here for sure; but it’s now on to Neuchâtel along the lake to see the old part of town.

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.