Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Day Trip to Johannesburg

TANZANIA | Tuesday, 10 May 2011 | Views [377]

A roof top bar/restaurant with amazing views.

A roof top bar/restaurant with amazing views.

20th to 23rd April 2011

South Africa

Day Trip to Johannesburg - The Origins Museum, the JoBurg Museum, the traffic and a rooftop bar.

This was a first for both of us, actually delving into downtown JoBurg!  The traffic is unbelievable where passage through an intersection is by brutal pushiness, not traffic lights!  We stood on street corners amazed that the gridlocks resolved themselves.  Even on the footpath we were at risk as numerous stormwater pit covers have been “lifted” and sold for scrap…leaving gaping holes in the heavily trafficked footpath.  How would you ever walk the streets and survive in the dark?

Our first destination was the Origins Museum at Wits University, which presents current thinking about the origins of species Homo Sapiens.  The word is that all our DNA sheets back to two original tribes in Southern Africa…the Bushmen.  It was most enlightening and well presented.

Johannesburg Museum presented an historical view of life in that city, originally a small mining town, over the past 200 years including the impacts of apartheid.

Deciding to avoid a trip home in peak hour melee, we were lucky to sneak a peek at the city roofscape from a bar atop a refurbished highrise, then when traffic calmed a little we scooted back to Pretoria for dinner at a delightful French restaurant, La Madeleine.  Full of theatre and good food, our “last supper” with M&M was lots of fun!  We left for London the next day.

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.