Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Returning to Johannesburg and Pretoria -

SOUTH AFRICA | Tuesday, 10 May 2011 | Views [368]

Looking back towards Stone Town

Looking back towards Stone Town

11th to 13th April 2011

Returning to Johannesburg and Pretoria, South Africa

We’ve got to ‘fess up about our return from Zanzibar….the moral of this story is to ALWAYS check that you actually collect the correct bags…..

In Dar es Salaam, as at Stone Town, there are vultures needing money (ie porters) who love to harass you until you succumb and let them carry your bags on their heads off the ferry.  We had a slight problem on arrival at Dar.  Our week old Chinese suitcases (identical brown types – you know the sort) were quite literally thrown off the ferry onto the wharf and immediately picked up by porters.  We got out of the melee and took a taxi to the airport.  Being 6 hours early there didn’t really matter until, at 11.30pm, we were shocked on opening one that it was NOT OURS!!!!!  Arghhhhh…it was full of Swahili cloths.  Where were our doonas, sleeping bags, books and shoes????  But this was an identical colour and size…where is ours??

First option – leave the case here (under the CCTV camera) and forget about the lost goods and head off through customs….hmmm. Next option was to share the problem with the security guard – the best thing that could happen.  Phone calls to sleeping ferry operators, a midnight rendezvous with the security guard at the ferry terminal with this bag and an exchange for ours and a race back to the airport just in time for customs….and all this in Africa…unbelievable!  In future – always check the contents of “your case”!

After arriving back in SA we headed back to M & M’s house exhausted for a couple of days before heading back to Maun.

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.